1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't Bonds Play 9?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HeinekenMan, Aug 7, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Perhaps I'm naive, but I sort of expect the best hitter in baseball to remain in the game. I believe Monday's departure was at least the third time in a week that Bonds was benched late in a tie game. Am I missing something? I know he's old, but don't you want your best hitter in the game?

2. HeinekenMan

If I owned the Giants (and I might someday), he'd be on the field as long as he could still sign his paychecks and hit a ton.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

If he represents the go-ahead run, then I'd replace him with somebody who could conceivably score from first on a double. In his current state, Bonds would got passed on the basepaths by a teammate trying to leg out an inside-the-park homer.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

A. He can't hit a to. He's a mediocre hitter at best now with occasional power.
    B. He can't run at all. (See previous post abouit being passed by a teammate)
    C. He is a defensive liability.
    D. He is a freak show about to break the HR record. Once he does, he's of little use to the Giants.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I think Bonds understands that Aaron hit 44 home runs over 3 seasons after he broke the record and that his tired old act of dragging his bloated body to the plate 3 times a game is making him look pathetic rather than heroic.

If only they'd let him take his HGH, he'd recover from the stress of playing 150 games a year and he'd last another few seasons, until his body exploded on some hot August afternoon in Houston, circa 2012.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Do we really need a new thread every time somebody comes up with a new way to take shots at Bonds? Not that I mind the shots, but it's getting confusing to keep up with this topic.

Bonds is still arguably the best hitter on that team (which says a lot about how shitty they are) and this is what the Giants have to do to keep him playing. And yes, they want the ticket sales. Blame the Giants for signing the guy. They knew they would have to use him like this.

Or maybe we can stream like this a bit. One thread -- the Fuck you, Barry Bonds thread. If we could actually keep all the appropriate posts there rather than having 6,000 threads about the guy, it would be epic!

Or maybe the man with the most famously overinflated hat size West of Kevin Mench will hit No. 756 already and get it over with.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Wouldn't happen in Houston. When it gets too hot in August, they close the roof. And in August, it's always hot in Houston.

8. HeinekenMan

I apologize. In the future, I'll clear all of my posts with you in advance.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You obviously have no sympathy for your sports desk, Heineken. Otherwise, you wouldn't be bitching that Bonds left the game early.

We LIKE IT when that happens. It means we can actually, you know, finalize the sports section, instead of having the HGH King hang over our heads like impending death.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner.

When Barroid leaves the game, he gets a standing 'O' from all East Coast desks and we leave the building.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll third that. Slam in the "Barry was 0-3 with a walk" note in the rail and go home instead of waiting another hour to see if we have to replate.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly, Zeke... update the "Bonds watch" box and hit the bar road

Draft saved Draft deleted