1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't believe they wrote that....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Maybe I'm getting sensitive in my old age but I was tad shocked to see the word "screwed" in a Richard Hoffer story on Philly.com the other day ... something to the effect of "Drexel got screwed."

I don't think my paper would let me get away with that, especially outside of a quote. I can try, though :D

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

"Unfortunately," as in "unfortunately, Hometown High's run to the Class 5A title ended with a 77-25 loss to Big City High on Saturday."

This happens a lot at my paper.

3. Babs

Babs Member

I think the closer you are to Canada, the more likely you are to be tempted to use this. But in the US it's arcane, I agree.

I would add "the likes of" to the list. Example: "joining the likes of Babe Ruth and Micky Mantle." If there were so many people like them, they wouldn't be legends.

4. david kaye

david kaye Member

The word "currently" makes my head explode. Here are a few tidbits from the wire in the last day.

The Raptors currently lead the Atlantic Division with a 35-29 record

Vanderbilt currently ranks first in the nation in 3-point shooting percentage

(Montoya's) currently 22nd in the Nextel Cup points standings

The book is currently on The New York Times Best Seller List.

5. Mighty_Wingman

I'm not sure if this is technically wrong, but I've always thought "including" is often misused. If Joe Blow, John Smith and Tom Smith are the only members of a group, you shouldn't write "The group included Joe Blow, John Smith and Tom Smith." That's who the group consisted of.

Too anal?

6. Babs

Babs Member

I'm going with yes here.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ahem. Paging Boots. Paging Boots. ;D

8. Mighty_Wingman

9. No, not too anal to use the right word. Including means those three are among the group, not the whole group. Just as bad as saying between the three of us, instead of among three of us.

But my pet peeve is "at the end of the day." Seems to be the current fave.

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I totally agree with tha-...uh....your example.

Far too many superfluous thats showed up in copy I read and I couldn't stand it.

12. A guy at my paper likes to get creative with his baseball stories. Nobody ever gets a base hit, they hit a "safety," and first basemen and third basemen become "sackers." I know baseball, and it's still like trying to read latin.

Draft saved Draft deleted