1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can't believe they wrote that....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by alleyallen, Mar 13, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Idea spawned from another thread (as are most of the threads I start)....

What word or phrase has appeared in a story you've seen (unedited is fine, obviously) that shocked you for its usage?

I know the list starts with these two:

* I
    * This reporter

I'd also like to add "whilst."
    Do. Not. Ever. Use. Whilst. In. Place. Of. While.

I also would like to add desperado, which one Mickey Spillane wannabe used to describe a guy the police caught after a foot chase.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

No amongst, either.

I have less problem with "I" than a lot of people.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I think he means in non-opinion pieces. At least if he's drawing from the same thread I think he's drawing it from.

There's few things that shock me, though after nearly six years at small dailies/weeklies, little surprises me anymore. It's more irritating stuff, like "_____ the fact that". I would HOPE everything you write is a fact. If you have to call special attention to something being a fact, I think it's time I have some of your works reviewed.

I've seen some unrepentant cheerleading in stories, but after the first few exposures, you tend to get numb to it.

I've told this story before, but the metro here once ran "This one time, at band camp" as a topper above a photo and hed for a story about some band camp in the area. It was a metro section feature. I do wonder if anyone there knows how the rest of that line goes. I know one for sure who does.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Isn't there also something vomit-inducing about the phrase "...only time will tell?"

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Re: Can\'t believe they wrote that....

Plated.

6. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I used the word huzzah in a story recently, and was damn proud of myself. As in, Team A had to keep the huzzah's and high five's to a minimum with another tough opponent, yada, yada, yada..

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Huzzah? Wow.

I'd also offer the word "Pwned" from a previous thread.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Roasted Nuts

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If I see one more story calling someone a "rock star" even though that person technically does not list "rock star" on his or her W-2, I swear, I'll start listening to smooth jazz.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

I got to this paper that had been shorthanded for a month until I got there. It was spring time so they had a part-timer doing the boys tennis beat. Anyone who has done a tennis beat knows that's very doable.

This one kid is an outstanding player and is getting ready for the state tournament. He's a freshman that had come in and put a good program over the top. So the lead of the preview for the state tourney story went like this, "Great tennis player changed the fortunes for good tennis team.'

The kid was Chinese. End of story.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Starting a statement with "needless to say" should be outlawed.

Another annoying one is "grand slam home run."

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Ugh. Grand slam home run is brutal, though not as bad as "plated."

I'm against old-timey names for athletes: gridders, cagers, thin-clads, etc. Crops up more in P.R. copy (especially SIDs, for some reason) than in newspaper copy, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted