1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canseco's next target: A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It's all good, PhilaYank. You weren't the real issue here, more of a 'stand-in,' kind of like when your friend yells at you rather than your girlfriend because he knows you can take it. I've never had a problem with you, and I apologize for making you take the brunt of others' unseemly actions.

OOP - I am not attempting to call out any moderators, a fact I'm sure most if not all of them are well-aware. I'm not in the business of wasting their time with pleading, 'save me from my own idiocy' PM's. As much as possible, I like to handle my own business and save them the trouble. I'm quite sure Flying Headbutt knows that I wasn't expecting him to do anything based on what I wrote. If I had, I would have PM'd him.

I was recently banned from this site for a week, that is correct. I have nothing to hide. And you know what? Based on what I did it was the correct call. I accepted it and haven't brought it up following the day that I was banned. And that's kind of my point - I accept the rules and the consequences of breaking them, do you? ('you' representing whomever chooses to take what amount to against-board-rules shots at myself and others).

As I said in my post, I wrote it precisely because it is public. To let newer members and guests understand that what was being done to me is not acceptable, can be followed-up on, and in many cases, should not be internalized by the recipient of the 'flaming,' or bullying, or whatever. I constantly dodge engaging in retorts on this site when provoked. It's not a big deal to me. However, as my identity is barely-removed from anonymity (my choice) now, the amount of sliming and labeling I'm going to permit against myself and my character are necessarily less. Somebody wants to challenge my argument? Go ahead. You want to go down the "Unibomber" or 'get help' path, that's not acceptable. I'm not in the business of being "Al Gore'd" by those who disagree with me. If you remember, in the past few years Gore has been oft-characterized as 'crazy' by those who do not want to see his ideas taken seriously, or who did not want to see him win the presidency. I take too much pride in what I do to allow such inanity to befall myself while I stand passively by. I have a reputation to protect and I assure you, I will protect it.

In fact, this dovetails with the subject of the thread. Canseco has said no one has sued him for libel for what he wrote, and many (such as Red Light) have chastened Bonds for not more vigorously defending himself using that option. In that vein, one could consider my post a 'libel suit' against those whom seek to impugn my character or competence. I am availing myself of that metaphorical option, and as I have been slimed publicly, I will defend myself publicly.

Again, the primary purpose of my previous post was to provide others an example of how to properly respond to unwanted, unwarranted attacks. There is redress. No one should be made to feel inveighed upon/bullied because someone dislikes them or their opinion. If my post helps but one person feel more comfortable expressing his/her opinion without fear of improper 'retaliation' from whichever SJ 'clique' is offended, than what I wrote is worth it. And the moderators' jobs are made easier, and the site stays more professional. Etc.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Still sounds like calling out the mods to me....but that's their business to follow up on or not, not mine.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Typing more doesn't make you smarter.

As to the rest: Gah.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My cat is a better poster than Rok. At least he can express himself in under 10 words.

[​IMG]

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

SC, even mentioning your cat in the same sentence as RokShit is an insult to poor Stan.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He's probably gonna be pissed now, no?

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if he posted on this thread later, slandering your good name.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Depends on whether he reads this thread.
    Them cats is crafty little guys.

9. stan_solo

stan_solo New Member

DEAD. TO. ME. You viscious, evil, mean, not-letting-me-out-to-hunt-the-squirrel creature!

You won't even let me lick the ice cream bowl clean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.