1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canseco's next target: A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Players...have sex...with women who aren't their wives or girlfriends on the road? No! What's next, Santa Claus isn't real and my parents were the Easter Bunny? You have Cleveland Steamed all over my childhood innocence. Is there nothing left to believe in?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say it was going to be an interesting book ... does that mean you'll take the bet?

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Agreed, Ragu.

If Canseco had anything about ARod using steroids, he would have dropped it into book one.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Nah, you're right, Jose is going to rat out those players who have a girl or girls on the side. I was just busting chops.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No problem. I knew we were pretty much in agreement on this one. Just making sure you knew it, too. :)

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ooooo. Players getting some on the side and having fun on the road. Watch those attendance numbers drop like a stone. Baseball's finished, I tell ya. It's a dying sport.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Nah, I'd agree with the comment that A-Rod's best move is not to get involved. If he denies using steroids, it lends credence to an accusation that has not been made yet. If he denies using steroids and he's found guilty of using them, he destroys his own credibility.

If he doesn't get involved, he's accused of using 'roids and someone finds that he hasn't used steroids, it would only hurt Canseco.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's the thing. When Canseco throws out these accusations of steroid use, there is no way they can come back to bite him in the ass. How does A-Rod, or any player, conclusively prove that he is clean and has always been clean? Can't be done. The tests just aren't good enough.

Canseco has no accountability whatsoever. Except people thinking he's an asshole, but that's just reality.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At least this time I hope he got a ghost writer. my god that first book he wrote was the biggest steaming pile of shit I have ever read cover to cover. Beyond the fact he contently contradicted himself within the same paragraph, it was dangerous as well, esp. if some kid reading it ever bought into his bullshit about PEDs. I trust him as a source about as much as I trust ... fuck it couldn't come up with a comparison. the guy is full of shit.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Unless whatever he has is something he learned since book one.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A theory on A-Rod's no comment: He's aware of the book to be published, he's consulted his lawyers, and they told him to say no comment pending any legal action. Because if he is clean, the only serious counter he would have against such an accusation would be a libel suit.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Unless whatever he has is something he learned made up since book one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.