1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canseco's next target: A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Why should A-Rod comment when he doesn't even know what Conseco's accusing him of? It's a dumb expectation.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

When a reporter asks him if he has ever taken the shit, he should say "no, I have not."

period

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He wasn't asked if he'd taken steroids. He was asked if he had any comment on what Canseco said.

EDIT: cAnseco is apparently beyond my meager spelling abilities.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Some of what Canseco alleged has turned out to be true, though the only person that hadn't been accused by others that fits that description is Rafael Palmeiro.

But let's remember, Canseco has proven himself capable of saying or writing (with tremendous amounts of help, I'm sure) ANYTHING if it is to his advantage. He lied for many years about his own steroid abuse. He has broken the law repeatedly. He proved himself to be a complete scumbag long before he started stabbing people in the back.

Sorry....don't care if some of his bullshit turned out to be true. That's just a broken clock being right twice a day. Canseco is not the most credible anything.

Edit: Almost forgot. Many people on here want to slam the authors of "Game of Shadows" for using sources with an agenda. But if you do that, no way can you support Canseco. Aside from his pursuit of cash at all costs, this guy has an axe to grind with major league baseball. In his delusional mind, he was blackballed. Not that his inability to find employment had anything to do with diminishing skills as a hitter, the fact that his defensive skills had deteriorated to the point that he was no longer anything but a DH, his inability to stay healthy, the fact that he wanted to still be paid like a superstar and the tremendous amount of baggage he was accumulating.

Yeah, it couldn't have been all those things keeping teams away, right? ::)

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The broke bullshit artist is in need of money.

It's easy for him to suggest ARod is on 'roids because Rodriguez will break Bonds' HR record and he's somewhat unlikable.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

OOP, every source has an agenda. It doesn't mean every source is fraudulent.

And there is no comparison between whatever Jose Canseco writes, which is backed up only by his reputation, and Game of Shadows, which is the work of unbiased reporters who relied on thousands of documents, more than 200 interviews, affidavits by the investigators and grand jury testimony which captured many of the BALCO athletes in their own words. Only an idiot can't understand the difference between those types of books.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Canseco got lucky with his first book. He threw out names and the charges stuck. You will recall that, in front of Congress, Jose didn't say a word after being eviscrated by Curt Schilling.

Jose Canseco is the worst kind of coward. He throws out bullshit, hoping it sticks to walls, and skates free while others have to answer questions.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Ragu, I don't think Game of Shadows is fraudulent at all. I was pointing out the hypocrisy of questioning the motives of the sources used in that book, but being willing to accept Canseco at his word.

In other words, I agree with your post.

9. The Big Ragu

OOP, Sorry about that!!! Only the first sentence of that was directed to you. :)

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

And attention.

11. The Big Ragu

I'll take bets ... the way they did this, it has nothing to do with steroids. The allegations are going to be about players getting some on the road. Anyone else think so?

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I think there's a really good chance of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.