1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canseco's next target: A-Rod

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spnited, Jul 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Jose is at it again, trying to sell another book:

Canseco Provides Mitchell With Names
    By MICHAEL S. SCHMIDT
    Jose Canseco, who wrote a tell-all book about steroid use in baseball two years ago, has met with George J. Mitchell, the former senator who is leading baseball’s investigation into the use of performance-enhancing drugs, Canseco’s lawyer said yesterday.

The lawyer, Robert O. Saunooke, said Canseco had shared details with Mitchell about “what players, managers and owners knew and all the ins and outs of drug use and procedures.” Saunooke said Canseco planned to meet with Mitchell and his investigators again in the next month.

A spokesman for Mitchell did not immediately return an e-mail message seeking comment.

In an interview with a Boston radio station on Friday, Canseco said he had “other stuff on Alex Rodriguez that will be coming out” in a book he is shopping to publishers.

Asked if Rodriguez used steroids, Canseco said, “Wait and see.”

Saunooke said: “Jose has information about A-Rod and the Yankees that will be in the book. But, I am not sure if Jose is willing to disclose it at this point.”

Asked yesterday if he had heard about Canseco’s remarks, Rodriguez said: “Nope. I haven’t, and I have no comment.”

In “Juiced,” his 2005 book, Canseco wrote that he participated in the use of steroids with Mark McGwire, Juan González, Rafael Palmeiro and Iván Rodríguez, among other major league players. The book helped lead to a Congressional hearing on steroids in sports.

Canseco did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I wanted to hear more from A-Rod there than "I have no comment." If he never has juiced, I would think he would have said more.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Well, considering Canseco hasn't said what his info on A-Rod is, what could A-Rod comment on?

4. ondeadline

How about: "If he's suggesting that I used steroids, he's wrong because I've never used them."

5. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Although I would also like to hear a blanket denial, A-Rod's best move is to stay out of this one until he's actually accused of something that could damage him.

Canseco may be looking to get some mileage out of something other than steroids (wouldn't he have used all of his A-list material on that subject in his first book?) -- perhaps players involved in extra-marital relationships, etc. That sort of revelation might be damaging to A-Rod's reputation with respect to endorsements, but it's not a killer like accusations of drug use would be.

6. ondeadline

Well, we know we're not going to hear him say anything Clinton-like such as: "I did not go to that strip club with that woman, Ms. Destiny."

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Period.

(don't forget finger-wagging)

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wonder if his information is going to be speculation because A-Rod has bulked up a bit in recent years. That was one of my problems with Canseco. He wasn't restricting himself to things he actually knew about. He was engaging in speculation about certain player as well.

I wonder how much of the second book will be the same type of bullshit.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Did Canseco & Rodriguez ever play on the same team? It seems highly doubtful that A-Rod (or his handlers) would ever associate himself with Canseco outside of being teammates.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

No they were never teammates...and I doubt Canseco has had much contact with A-Rod in his life.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Huh, that's interesting. Sounds kind of similar to these guys:
    [​IMG]

The main difference between Canseco (JC) and MFW/LW?

Canseco: 1) Appears to have actually been a real-life witness to a good amount of
    what he discusses + 2) Does not seem to have potentially suborned a felony in order
    to obtain his information. MFW seems harder-to-find for an interview these days than is Mark McGwire. Imagine that. With the amount of camera mugging and interviews he did before the lid blew off of Ellerman's leaks, you would think MFW might want to do something - perhaps suing Ellerman? - to get out in front of the story that he abetted and possibly solicited the commission of a federal crime?

I mean, if Barry Bonds should be suing Red Light for his statements - prove to me they are false, Barry! - shouldn't MFW absolutely, 100 % use that same mechanism for his own exoneration? Or are some of us holding a double standard for athlete and reporter?

Oh, and the "suing him" option also applies to Alex Rodriguez. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that each of those here on SJ - as well as the Robert Costas' of the world - makes sure that Rodriguez is FULLY APPRAISED of that option should Canseco allege that A-Rod used PED's.

Equal protection and persecution under the law. Sorry, no "Well, Barry blew me off for an interview, boo-bleeping-hoo's" will be deemed acceptable if Alex is held to a different standard than Barry, if and when Canseco levels charges of PED use by A-Rod.

I find it incredibly ironic that Canseco seems set to divulge relevant information on The Man Who We All Are Praying Will Speedily Break Barry's Soon-to-Be-Set HR record. How disappointed will all those seeking shelter from the Barry storm be if and when their 'savior' is painted with the PED. I will eagerly await the NYDN's breathless, stilted coverage as well as The Chron Gang's eagerness to "serve the public's interest" and do their damndest to chase down the damning/exculpatory information. All hypothetical, of course.

And when, and if, Canseco - the most-credible source on PED's in MLB to date - comes to tarnish A-Rod with the PED allegation, I URGE Strappin' Robert Costas to apply the same standard of judgment he smugly is doing with Bonds -- no need for "supposedly's" or "allegedly's." Nope, Robert, you and your Supreme Intellect can feel absolutely secure in concluding A-Rod used PED's if and when Canseco says that he did. No need for trials, and such foolishness. Hey, if you can believe Playboy's Kim Bell, you sure as hell can believe the most reliable MLB steroid source to date -- Ozzie Canseco's brother.

Robert "Napoleon's Purist" Costas --> F-A-R-C-E

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No... his best move, if it is true, is to totally deny any connection with the shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.