1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canseco: Aw, shucks, I shouldn't have done that

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Oct 21, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3655031

Yes, it's so shocking that this became such a huge deal. Who didn't see that coming? He's probably just pissed that the guys he couldn't bring down A-Rod.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Once again, Canseco proves that he is both a dirtbag and a moron.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still like him better than McGwire.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

And impotent. Don't forget impotent.

5. outofplace

I hear that a lot and I just don't understand it. Ok, McGwire is a phony and he has never come clean. Who cares? He really isn't even in the public eye any more.

Does an apology really mean that much? And in Canseco's case, it really wasn't much of an apology. It was basically, "Yeah, I did it, but so did everybody else. And they are still doing it." Canseco lied about his steroid use for years, until well after his career was over. He has also behaved like a jackass off the field.

Canseco absolutely set out to hurt people, and make some money in the process. He couldn't accept that no team wanted to pay him millions of dollars when he could no longer hit for average, play in the field or stay healthy. He wasn't blackballed. He just wasn't good enough to be worth all the bullshit any more. But rather than accept the truth, he set out to hurt the game and people who were his teammates.

I can't say I like either guy much, but to me Canseco is much more of a scumbag than McGwire.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

At least Canseco didn't make shit up and try to extort anyone. McGwire just disappeared quietly.

7. Mizzougrad96

People rarely give Canseco's book the credit it deserves. While I'm sure his motives were anything but pure, it's done more to clean up baseball than anything else. He turned out to be right about Palmeiro. It wouldn't surprise me if every word of that book was 100 percent true.

Without that book, who knows what, if anything, would have happened.

8. outofplace

Just because some of what Canseco wrote was true doesn't mean all of it is. He made some accusations based on what he claimed was personal knowledge and others based purely on speculation from looking at other players.

None of that makes him a better human being.

9. Mizzougrad96

Don't get me wrong. His apology is meaningless. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Canseco's motives are bad, but I think he's been truthful. That's more than anyone can say for Palmeiro, who lied to Congress, Sammy Sosa, who only speaks English when it's convenient or McGwire, whose Congressional performance was one of the most painful things I have ever watched.

10. outofplace

He has been selectively truthful. Some of what he wrote has been proven true, but not all of it. He told the truth about his own use when it served his purposes and not a moment before.

11. Canseco doesn't hold any records.
    He was a moron when he played. McGwire wasn't. McGwire had records and was held in high regard.
    Rather than admit to anything, or even defend it he clammed up.
    I'm (gulp) with Mizzou on this one.
    Canseco you expected this kind of shit from. Not McGwire.

12. Magnum

Magnum Member

First 40/40 man, IIRC.

FWIW.

Draft saved Draft deleted