1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Candidates for Time's Person of the Year ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 13, 2007.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it says a lot about the politics in America today that no one really stands out. I gave up on this "honor" when Bush won it in 2000. Not because he won it, but because the editors shot portraits and wrote copy for Bush and Kerry while the recounts and court challenges went on, with the idea that whoever won would be POY. Way to take a stand! They get goofier and goofier each year in order to sell the most mags.
    If Time was going to be honest they'd name Rupert Murdoch the Person of the Year.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The POY stopped being relevant when they didn't choose Bin Ladin in 2001. It's supposed to be the person who, for better or worse, changed the world the most. Hell, they named Hitler POY once back in the day.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Steve Jobs ought to get it, for the iPhone and all the changes wrought by the iPod (the Hollywood writers may not be on strike if not for iTunes selling TV programs and movies). Rupert Murdoch isn't a bad second choice....along with the guys who created Google.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

BB, I agree on Steve Jobs. The advancements made by Apple this year have -- and will continue to -- spark a completely new technological movement. The iPhone was one of the most innovative technological inventions of our time, and it will continue to grow and improve.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This guy should win it:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You're full of shit. You won. Not I. So congrats after all!

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Hold on, now. The iPhone is damn impressive but it is neither new nor technologically inventive. SmartPhones, which the iPhone is one, have been out for years. Previous generations of SmartPhones have had MP3 players built in and have been loaded with versions of Windows. In fact, the iPhone is hardly the first touch screen phone.

The real difference with the iPhone is that it is loaded with an Apple operating system and that it is entirely touchscreen. Those differences are not enough to declare it some new creative force. Additionally, the iPhone is only available on one cell phone provider and is just now expanding to Europe and Asia.

I will say that I can easily see Steve Jobs as a candidate. His return to Apple has rejuvinated the company and brought it back to respectability.

I would prefer to give it to the Google guys. They didn't just push forward a product vastly greater than their competitors. They added a word to the English language! Throw in the company going public and their stock's rocket like ascent to the top and you have one impressive company.

The innovations alone would be a good Google story. You could then branch off to the issues with the Chinese government.

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I hate to assume, but I suspect Hejira Henry's "lack of support" statement referred to the war, not to a lack of support for the troops.

That's how I read it, anyway.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agree with Pastor. iPhone is one of the most overhyped products in the last few years.

Google is downright mindboggling.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Then he had a bit of a subject-verb-object problem with his post.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

HH, is there really an upswell of hatred and anger toward the troops? Or is it toward the war and the government? Just wondering because, as a veteran, it makes all the difference in the world.

12. Faithless

Faithless Member

How about a Drug of the Year?

Maybe steroids should receive some consideration for Time's honor. Steroids have been in the news all year

Draft saved Draft deleted