1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Candidate for Sports Lede of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And Kentucky fans flooded call-in shows on Monday wondering why UK didn't sign that Harry Clit guy.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Ineligible. He played in the pro Greek league. ;D

3. or just don't

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think sports editors should institute an "Elvis or Nothing-*" musical reference rule.

(*-New Jersey could have a Springsteen loophole).

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Two of my buddies at a neighboring paper were pissed some years ago when they had to cover a basketball tournament and miss a concert. They were determined to work references to this band - can't even think of which one - into every story and they were successful.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

We had a stretch a while back where we had a Bruce reference (song title, lyric, etc.) in a hed or story four times in one week. None was as forced as that pathetic lede.
    Made us think about starting an "artist of the week" for hed purposes. But we figured the SE wouldn't be real high on that idea.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

In a strange coincidence, I was just reading a collection of New Yorker profiles - Life Stories (very good book). There's one from 1950 on Hemingway. And there's this line:

He had learned a lot from Mr. Johann Sebastian Bach, too. "In the first paragraph of 'Farewell," I used the word 'and' consciously over and over the way Mr. Johann Sebastian Bach used a note in music when he was emitting counterpoint. I can almost write like Mr. Johann sometimes - or, anyway, so he would like it. All such people are easy to deal with, because we all know you have to learn."

There's also this quote from him in the story:
    "I use the oldest words in the English language. People think I'm an arrogant bastard who doesn't know the ten-dollar words. I know the ten-dollar words. There are older and better words which if you arrange them in the proper combination you make it stick. Remember, anybody who pulls his erudition or education on you hasn't any."

So he might not like the lede either.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Write too many ledes like that, and instant karma's gonna get you.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

heh heh he said "Hera-clitus"

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I used to work song titles into headlines all the time, especially on our old photo page that required 4-5 overlines.

I'd play a game with myself and try to get song references from the same artist into all of them. Most of the time, no one even noticed, except other copy editors.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Twins' boys of summer are sitting down to their own personal Sunset Grill, and no amount of dirty laundry will bring the end of the innocence for Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

That is the penultimate post, dooley.

Draft saved Draft deleted