1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

The recurring theme from the flea market on the main strip is:
    "Come buy MY junk. It's the best in Mexico."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Say hi to Myamee and Frank The Entertainer for me. :D

3. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

One other thing that comes to mind for you to know to do:

When you go out to eat, especially at your hotel restaurant, you must remember to specifically ask your server for the tab.

It is considered rude and very bad form to rush people through their meals or out of restaurants there, and the servers will not do it. Ever.

You could stay for hours -- really -- and, if you don't wave your server over and ask them for your check, they will not bring it to you. You are considered guests, and welcome to linger and stay as long as you like, and that goes whether you're actually eating, anymore, or not.

And some people do just that. Three-hour buffet meals are not at all uncommon.

Even though the waiters are very attentive, and will be easy to wave over if you want something (including your tab), you will not be rushed, and it will not be hinted, that you should leave or that the server wants your table, so, please, hurry up and get done.

I don't know why, but I've always loved this courtesy/consideration. I guess I just find it really refreshing.

When I'm out to eat in U.S. restaurants at which your tab is brought to you, often while you're still in the middle of eating, I sometimes even think of Cancun just because of this.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Very cool, especially since that's what we're looking for....a relaxing time with no rush.

Just confirmed our stay at the Royal Sands. And lemme just say....Interval International is pheeeenominal. Apparently, I effed up the reservation (shocker!), and they took care of everything, even put a hold on the last villa in the resort while they dumped the reservation and made another one. The guy was just great.

I've been on a high all day thinking about this vacation. Thanks again to everyone who has given me advice and tips. Keep it coming.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

A dinner and the nightly show at the Mango Tango restaurant is a good, enjoyable night out. You can get there from the hotels via a short bus ride, its located on the water and it's a nice place to be when it gets to be around sunset/dinner-time.

Sit outside, as close to the water, and the stage, as possible, and enjoy the show.

I can't remember if you have to make reservations, or not. It's a busy, popular place, though, so if you can do that, I would.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There is a really nice restaurant on the lagoon side of the strip, I cannot remember the name of it for the life of me, but it sits off by itself. It's not in the 'downtown' part of the strip.

Only place I've ever eaten where they have separate menus for the men and the women. The women's menus don't have prices on them.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Dunno whether to be really pleased or disappointed that no one jacked this one ...

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

So what do they do when a woman/group of women dine there sans men?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I would assume they give them menus with prices on them.

We were there with another couple. Our wives were given menus without prices.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Update.....

So with this pig sickness going around Mexico, the wife and I have been making alternative plans for vacation. And we bought the travel insurance in case something crazy happens and we can't go. Well, turns out that widespread influenza is NOT among the things covered by the insurance.

I found this very hard to believe. Then again, the insurance agency my time share company deals with....AIG.

Is it normal for something like this not to be included in the insurance? Is that right?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Probably falls under "act of god" category. I posted some info on the Swine Flu thread.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Aw, man. This fucking sucks. I've never had to deal with anything like this, so I don't have any advice for you.

But keep us posted, man. And best of luck.

Draft saved Draft deleted