1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 9, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Here's another issue...

Having never traveled outside the country, what's the currency situation in Cancun? How's all that work?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

When we went a few years back, they gladly took dollars. Now, we didn't eat at any fancy restaurants ... just dive bars, but they gladly accepted dollars.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

That's what I was hoping. And since it's one in a row of related resorts, I'm guessing they'll have an exchange place somewhere close if we need it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Show up with at least some local currency, always, when traveling outside the US, even in a tourist destination where most places accept dollars. You can never tell; some places might be capricious and overcharge the shit of you if you're paying in foreign currency. And even though it's a tourist destination, it's still Mexico...you can't count on shit like banks and cambios being open when you think they should be.

Ryan, I think the problem that people have with Cancun is that it's a prefabricated city, built specifically to create a tourist industry on Mexico's short Caribbean coast, which it has. As a result, there's kind of an artificiality to the place. People who really love Mexico tend to have a low opinion of Cancun because it isn't very representative of what the country has to offer. It's kind of tacky, with an undercurrent of sleaze (sex tourism has an ugly presence in the local economy). But, if you just want to enjoy some great beaches, Cancun is fine. Definitely make the jaunt out to Isla de Mujeres.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Consider this good advice, and fair warning.

Another bit of both, in relation to Iron_chet's post about the water/waves:

3. Be careful, and smart, while swimming. Don't be lulled by the crystalline beauty of that water (It is breathtaking, and can be mesmerizing). This is where the trouble starts, though, because it is also quite rough, in a deceptive kind of way, even very close to the shore. The waves aren't usually especially big, but there are a lot of cross-currents, and the undertow is very strong. The combination makes it surprisingly difficult to get out, sometimes, once you're in the water.

In fact, if you are not a strong swimmer, I'm not sure I'd go in at all. My advice is to just enjoy the beach, pool and walks along the edges of the water.

But, if you do go in the water -- I know from experience that it's difficult to go to Cancun and think you'd have to say that you never even went in -- PLEASE, SWIM NEAR A MANNED LIFEGUARD STAND. And, pay attention to the water-warning flags along the beach, never going in under a black flag.

I've seen people who weren't even 15 feet from the beach, and who were really just wading in a little, have to be rescued by lifeguards because the undertow and washing-machine-like underwater tides make it so you can't get even get your feet under you. Or else, they may pull you out much farther/faster than you realize, or would like.

Oh, and one other warning/precaution regarding the beach swimming:

Beware the water fleas. You can't see them, but they're there, and some people have real, itchy rash-like allergic reactions to them if they do a lot of swimming.

There are showers on the beaches for rinsing off after you go in the ocean, and I never had a problem with the water fleas. But I didn't beach-swim as much as some people, either, and I've seen others badly affected by them.

This is one of the main reasons, in fact, that tourists often just stick to swimming in the pool, especially once they've been to Cancun at least once.

One last piece of advice: Go to bed at least one night in your hotel room with the balcony sliding door propped open a little. The sound of the waves it just amazing -- something different and rhythmic, soothing, peaceful and wild, all at the same time.

The nights are usually warm enough there to do this as long as there's no storm going on, and the sound might even lull you to sleep. Once I discovered this, I did it every night I could, and I recommend it.

It feels like you're camping on the beach, without your actually having to camp.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Some pretty solid advice, there.

7. JackReacher

Your advice has been awesome. Thanks so much.

And I get why people don't like it. I really do. But having never been, I don't mind feeding the beast, being douches and complete tourists this once. If we go again? Maybe that's when we'll venture off the beaten path a little.

Interesting about the water fleas. While in Miami a few years ago, the seaweed (or something) gave me a nasty rash on my chest. Hurt like hell and damn near ruined my trip. But it's Miami....I just drank until the pain went away. :)

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Take Write's advice seriously. I live at the ocean and consider myself one hell of a swimmer, even w/ the currents, undertows, etc.
    Stayed at the Omni Cancun last June (brother-in-law's wedding) and got absolutely destroyed in about 4 feet of water. The rocks along the edge of the water aren't exactly soft, either. Get in the water -- so you can say you did -- but remember that water is mostly there just to look at.

If you get a chance, hit the main flea market on the main strip. The people running the booths are pushy as hell and as annoying as you can get, but you can find some neat shit in a few of them.

If you're into karaoke, there's a pretty big joint across the street from the Omni. The couple that runs the place is actually from Virginia.

Lastly, take a bunch of $2 bills with you. For some reason, the vendors in Cancun love them and will give you slightly better deals on a lot of shit.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Anybody here been to Huatulco? Heading there at the end of this month.

10. JackReacher

Interesting. Thanks.

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

One of my favorite places in Mexico.

The food at the resorts had some influence from being in the Oaxcha (sp) region, found it better than resorts in other parts of Mexico.

The little town is very safe. Like Cancun, Huatulco is a place that was totally planned by the Mexican tourist authorities. Unlike Cancun, they are going for a mellower, Costa Rican type vibe. You will not find many nightclubs in town so if you are going to party it may be quiet.

The nice thing about Huatulco is that even though it is on the Pacific the water is calmer and warmer than a place like Puerto Vallarta. Huatulco is a bunch of little bays so venturing into the water on the beach is pretty safe.

Some recommendations: Do a catamaran tour of the bays, fun way to spend an afternoon and see the coast.

Check out the fishing village where they relocated the families that were living there before they started building hotels. Big pounding surf (at least when I was there) and cool to see.

Walk around town, no aggressive vendors and some cool shops. There are some Mescals that are only available in the Oaxcha region and worth buying. There is also a shop where a guy makes textiles on an old loom. You can pick up some cool handmade blankets, towels, sheets etc dirt cheap and well made.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Met the most honest souvenir shop owner ever last time I was in Cancun.

Walking down the street and he yells at me, "Come into my store, let me rip you off!"

Draft saved Draft deleted