1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 9, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Do-able: http://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Couple of summers ago I rode from Tacoma to Oklahoma City with less than 300 miles of interstate.

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

It looks like you are getting a deal right in Cancun so you may not be flexible but if you really are not planning on doing too much off the resort than try to book a little further south (about an hour from Cancun) on the Mayan Riviera.

The beaches at these resorts are generally a little bit bigger and better tha nright in Cancun, also the water is a little more gentle if you are concerned with waves. You are also closer to Playa Del Carme which is a touristy, but fun charming village type place.

I have been to Cancun a bunch of times for work and fun and never stay right in town if I am there for pleasure. If you want Coco Bongos and partying, stay in Cancun, if not stay on the Mayan.

I will also the recommendation for Xcaret, it is fun to do once. What I highly recommend is checking out a Cenote, whether on a tour or on your own.

4. three_bags_full

I thought Xcaret was a waste of time.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Two pieces of advice:

1. Don't drink the tapwater, unless you want to have a shitty time.

2. The taxi cab drivers race like it's the Daytona 500.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

My head would have exploded about halfway from swearing at cars in front of me on rural roads. I like the occasional jaunt off the interstate, but no way am I driving a long distance without being able to go 70-plus the great majority of the time.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

100 percent agreed.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Sorry, chief. We're doing Cancun. Call me a tourist, but I'd much rather spend a week on the beach than in a car...now. One of these years, I'd like to drive cross country, though. Just not this year.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's only up along the U.S. border. Once you get into the interior, the only worry should be Montezuma's Revenge.

10. loveyabye

loveyabye Guest

I stayed at the Casa Magna Marriott a few months ago and was extremely happy. The pool and hot tub were exquisite. There were about 4 restaurants and they were decent. However, I didn't do much other than drink and sun so I can't speak to that ... everyone recommended Isla Mujeres as a day trip though.

11. three_bags_full

It's your vacation. I was offering an alternative to what I think is not a fun vacation. The beaches are nice, but not much else. Lots of jewelry shops and watered-down margaritas.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'd love to take a cross country trip. I've always wanted to do that. Now's just not the time.

And we're going for the beach, so that works.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted