1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancun

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Apr 9, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I'm guessing we'll spend most, if not all, of our time lounging at the pool and beach. That swim-up bar has my name written all over it. I might not move.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I stayed at Club Med in Cancun in November a while back. Great experience, but then again I was single then. Chichen Itza is amazing. Squarest, flattest, buildings in the middle of the jungle. Water is fabulous. You can even gamble at "Caliente" as I recall. A tourist town, but that's what its for, right?

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You should be fine then, hurricane-wise at least. June is technically in the season, but little happens in that month.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Can I come along?

5. JackReacher

You buy the beer, you're in.

6. imjustagirl

I'M IN!

So you're getting my plane ticket? I'll just sleep in the pool by the bar.

7. JackReacher

You'd better make room. :)

Well...I don't know. Those villas look pretty damn sweet. The one we'd get sleeps six. The pictures on the site look amazing. We're definitely going, I think. The wife took one look and was sold. She's not sold on the flight - she hates flying - but she'll be fine.

8. imjustagirl

Wait, you'll have room? Then I'm COMPLETELY in.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Don't get shot by a coke dealer.

10. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

My folks own a timeshare at the Royal Carribean Hotel, and I've been there three times. My parents have been about 10 times. They love it, and I did, too.

You know why? Because you can have a great time doing absolutely nothing. It's wonderful. And if you own propery in any of the Royal properties, you can go to any of the other ones during the day, so I've been to the Royal Islander a few times. I usually went there not to spend all day, but to work out, because that hotel had the best gym facility. But yes, the beach-front, disappearing-into-the-sand pool with the swim-up bar is something to see and enjoy.

I'd recommend spending a (long, exhausting) day at Xcaret park, where I'd suggest seeing a short but amazing single-ring horse show (you watch by just standing along the ring railing, for about 20 minutes). You should also take advantage of opportunities to snorkel there among the underground reefs, ride (on inner tubes) and swim through underground, water-filled caverns, one of which has an exotic Mayan show going on.

Also, I'd do the dolphin swim at Xcaret. When I went, it was much less scripted than other dolphin experiences I've done, and therefore, it was more exciting and spontaneous (between swimmers and dolphins, who were left to themselves more than at other places) and it was really fun and interesting. Felt almost a little spiritual, even.

Xcaret also has a hike through a nature reserve on the grounds that's pretty tame. It can be kind of tiring, but it's worth doing, too, as long as you're there.

End the day with the live musical/cultural/entertainment show that takes place at night in an ancient rock-ledged arena/amphitheater that reminds of me of a small Coliseum. It was a beautiful, enjoyable show, with lots of ethnic pride and history.

Take the bus back to your hotel.

Fall into bed. Literally.

That's what we did.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Think different: http://www.cancundiving.net/getcertified.html 8)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Screw Cancun. It's nothing more than a tourist trap.

Drive cross-country without getting on the Interstate.

Draft saved Draft deleted