1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pallister, Mar 13, 2007.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I'm just not sure how to prepare for such thing when no one I've ever been remotely close to has been in such a life-threatening situation. I will check out that book, however. I just looked up a quick review online and it seems like it would be helpful to read the thoughts not of "experts" on death and dying, but those who were actually going through the process.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

On a lighter note, if you're looking for some off-topic reading material....

Nelson Algren has two or three great short pieces on the White Sox. Maybe your dad would enjoy them if he hasn't read them. If I remember correctly, you can find stuff on the Sox in two collections: "The Neon Wilderness" and "Chicago: City on the Make."

Algren took Simone de Beauvoir to a Sox game while the two were dating...hilarious mental image.

3. girl friday

girl friday Member

pallister, i just wanted to send along my hopeful thoughts that everything goes well for your father and your family.

i think it's great that you're going to spend time with him. i say, drink in every moment, make sure he knows how much he's loved, and make it as enjoyable as possible.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Another thing you might want to do during your visit is tape record some of your conversations with him. At first, it will seem awkward, but just let him talk. Have him tell some funny stories and get it on tape. My mom did this with her father and it's a nice thing to have when you want to remember the sound of his voice.

Chris

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

As someone who lost his dad to cancer years ago and his mother to complications from lymphoma in July, I add my thoughts and wishes for the best.

(Good suggestion, bagelchick.)

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't know. I have photos of my dad on a prominent shelf at home. My sister's ex-husband has some video of my dad, but I still don't know if I could handle watching the walking and talking. My memories are strong enough.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I certainly understand that, and that was me at one point, but if you have no audio or video of pop, you cannot go back in time and make some when it is too late. Better to do it (assuming no one is offended by it) and never listen to it or view it than to wish you could and be unable.

Draft saved Draft deleted