1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancer claims Bob Jelenic, 58

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 4, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

OK, Shot. I'm not seeing it, but OK.

And I understand Moddy's point that this person obviously isn't that much of a public figure.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Cancer sucks - no matter whom it attacks.

That's all.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Couldn't agree more.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Is it ok to feel that Bob Jelenic was an asshole without imply you're glad he died of cancer? Because that seems to be how some of us are trying to frame the argument. You think he's a jerk so you saying you're glad he had cancer!

Just to be clear:

Bob Jelenic -- not a very nice person.

Cancer -- An awful, sucky disease we wish on no one. Even Jelenic.

Hilter -- still a very bad person, and bad subject for analogies. A far worse person than any newspaper chain owner, so he deserves no sympathy.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Didn't know Mr. Jelenic, but I don't think bad things happen to bad people often enough.

Hitler could have had the crabs, the clap, cancer and scurvy all at once and I would have cheered.

Hell, his own people tried to blow him up 40 times, but some wouldn't wish cancer on him?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Thank. You.

Look, I'm not glad Jelenic had cancer. I know first hand its deadly potential since I stared down the barrel of cancer myself. But let's not put ourselves in a position where we have to play nice because the man is dead. If he was an asshole in life, people have a right to remember him in that fashion.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, they do. But the respectful and adult among us should be able to refrain from saying it right after he dies.

8. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I agree. There's nothing that can be said here that hasn't already been said.

Hell, think the worst about him. Have a shot of Jameson, dance a jig and tell yourself you're going to defile his grave. But there's no reason to post any of that stuff here.

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

ol' punchline from my days in the catskills: a man dies after a long illness. this man was considered such an asshole by all that no one can be found to say something nice about him at the funeral service. the outraged rabbi shouts that no one is leaving until someone steps forward to offer up a kind word in remembrance.

finally, a man comes forward to take the podium. after a looong pause, he says, "his brother was worse!" ;D ;D ;D

that's the best i've got.

10. Moderator1

This is NOT about Bob. I'm NOT breaking my own rule.
    This is a generic joke, following up on Shockey's.

Guy shows up at the funeral of an arch-enemy. A guy who happened to be friends with both comes up and says, "Surprised to see you here. I thought you hated him, considered him the worst son of a bitch ever."
    "True," the man says.
    "So why are you here?"
    "Just wanted to be sure it was indeed him in there."

11. Flowery Hatred

Flowery Hatred New Member

That was a joke?

12. Moderator1

I never said it was a GOOD one, you know?

Draft saved Draft deleted