1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancer claims Bob Jelenic, 58

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Songbird, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I'm with those above.

I will say this, belaboring the obvious a little: Every death provides a lesson or a reminder for those of us left behind. It's a lesson we probably shouldn't need but quite often do, and it particularly can come in handy when we're facing professional and economic crises like the current ones.

Spend your life wisely.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You can say (pretty much) what you want and a lot has been said about the man. My point is, don't say it here. Show a smidge of respect. No one is saying you have to say something. Say nothing, that's fine. Just don't be an asshole about a guy who just died.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm with those who have expressed reservations about Webby's and Moddy's decision here. As far as I'm concerned, we're being asked to show Jelenic far more respect in death than he ever showed people in life.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

f_t, I think all Moddy's asking is that you don't say anything then. That's as easy as not typing.

5. Moderator1

Where did Webby weigh in? This is me here.

I must say, I'm a bit surprised at how eager people seem to be to walk all over a man who just died. A lot surprised, actually.

Shot, thanks for seeing the point here. I'm asking no one to suddenly love the guy.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Tried that once. Got screamed at by the boss.

7. well said, forever

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

We're going to have to disagree on this. I've always found that to be such an incredibly bizarre sentiment: Someone died, therefore we should all be nice. At what point does someone become such a shit that they no longer deserve to have this clause enacted? Bob Jelenic is not Robert Mugabe, whose passing I'm quite certain we wouldn't told to mind our tongues at, but he is not Mother Teresa either. I'm curious as to why Bob Jelenic falls closer to Mother Teresa on this scale than he does Robert Mugabe.

There is nothing assholish about telling the truth. As a newsman, or former newsman, I would we'd all understand that and respect it.

9. forever_town

I'm not eager to dance on someone's grave. But I also shouldn't be expected to be nice when someone who doesn't deserve it moves onto the next life.

If you prefer the "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything" credo, then I won't say a word about Bob Jelenic in death. But if you expect me to be nice when someone doesn't deserve it, I just can't do that.

10. Moderator1

Cool. Disagreeing is OK.
    And again, I'm not saying be nice. I'm saying don't be mean. Not now. Not here. It's a thing called common courtesy. What's the golden rule - do undo others as you would HAVE THEM do undo you?
    I hope when I croak (8 years in the pool), my detractors can hold back for at least a while!

FT - again: Where did I ask anyone to be nice?

11. forever_town

If you're not an asshole, you'll get deference.

You may not have said it, but the intimation sure seemed clear to me.

12. Moderator1

Oh, I am an asshole.
    Someone I love and who actually claims to love me told me the other day that if being an asshole was an Olympic sport, I'd be Michael Phelps.

Draft saved Draft deleted