1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancel Culture and the Free Speech Argument

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

And I stand by the point politics steered away from the politics thread at some point.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

In a year of the coronavirus and the push for social justice reform there is no split between politics and anything else. It's an impossible distinction.

Liut likes this.
  3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well there's certainly room and a need here for how journalism addresses politics.

And how politics shapes journalism.

For example, I think the idea of 'cancel culture' is completely overblown. It's simply criticism by another name, reframed as part of the larger, for-profit persecution-industrial complex of the American right.

But I agree there are seismic shifts happening in journalism, too. Not all of them good.

But not all of them bad, either.

I figured a general thread allowing for that makes sense.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    Liut likes this.
  4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did Jerry Falwell Jr. get canceled?

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

6. Tech Trojan

Tech Trojan New Member

Why you spouting this left wing Jeff Bezos crap? Shouldn't you be out burning down whats left of Portland with the rest of the antifa crowd? Come down here and burn down his 165 Million Dollar plantation he bought in SoCal last year with all his ill gotten gains.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

As has been noted elsewhere - the "free speech" argument really doesn't apply here when those "cancelled" are paid for their speech. Companies have no obligation to continue to keep someone on their payroll who has demonstrated views or behavior that is at odds with that company represents. Free speech only means one can't be punished criminally for their words (with limited exceptions). The problem that many who have been "cancelled" are finding is that much of their career was/is built on their credibility/reputation - when it is shown that their image is largely fraudulent and not a true reflection of who they are, it's not a surprise that they are having a hard time getting "uncancelled" - there is no rehab program for bigotry, sexism, misogyny.

Donny in his element and Liut like this.
  8. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

Yes.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

May I subscribe to your newsletter, please?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Yes, because actions have consequences whether the person acting likes it or not.

Mngwa likes this.
  11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It had to. The politics thread became the Trump thread.

Liut likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed. Though I would refer to it as the Criticize Trump thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.