1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cancel Culture and the Free Speech Argument

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Azrael, Aug 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Come the fuck on, dude.

And that's not taking the Earth, Wind and Fire scene with Damone into account.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The really need to have a Ms. (of course) Woke Portland Pageant. These Karens (regardless of their ideology) are insufferable.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You tell cancel culture, Fredrick. Cancel culture won't show its face around these parts after that dressing down.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

"My brother's gonna fuckin' kill us!"

5. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

From the former MSNBC employee:

"I understand that the journalistic process is largely subjective and any group of individuals may justify a different set of priorities on any given day. Therefore, it’s particularly notable to me, for one, that nearly every rundown at the network basically is the same, hour after hour. And two, they use this subjective nature of the news to justify economically beneficial decisions. I’ve even heard producers deny their role as journalists. A very capable senior producer once said: “Our viewers don’t really consider us the news. They come to us for comfort.”

Agree wholeheartedly.

Probably not the right thread to post the following observation, but I monitored the CBS Evening News and NBC Nightly News Thursday. Was curious to see if either broadcast would air anything on the 75th anniversary of nuking Hiroshima. Full disclosure: No idea the last time I had watched NBC Nightly News.

Anyway ... nothing, nada. Wasn't surprised in the least.

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

This is so timely for me.

Just yesterday, someone told me how important it is, "to grab readers attention." I responded with, "my job is to inform readers, not grab their attention. I will leave that to other media." The last bit of snark was directed toward local competition.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But how do you inform them if you don't have their attention? The real trick is to inform them in a compelling way. Cable news is junk. A daily outrage-athon that needs to constantly up the dosage to keep their viewers engaged. They've been so obsessed by the daily tweets that they've failed to document the profound changes and harm done to this country by policy enacted (or retracted) by this administration.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I let my work speak for itself. It's respected and word spreads.

The rest of your response is more appropriate for the politics thread. Then again, most threads around here steer way the fuck of the tracks toward politics. You've admitted your feelings.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes, how horrible of him to bring politics into a "Cancel Culture and the Free Speech Argument" thread. Simply terrible.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I was talking about reporting, PC. Why does everything have to become political? What did I say that prompted a response about politics?

Weren't we, as members, told by the moderators to keep that to the politics thread? What did I do wrong?

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

And again, you're on a thread about "Cancel Culture," a ridiculous right-wing talking point.

Why did he make a political reference in response to your vow to not get the reader's attention? I don't know. He veers sometimes. But the "I thought we weren't supposed to talk about politics" response is silly and disingenuous on a thread about "cancel culture."

Liut likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I was confused about Dan's response. My bad.

PCLoadLetter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.