1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadians: "Let's get out of Afghanistan"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double J, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Come after Canada how?
    Commit crimes against Canadian citizens? Maybe.
    But "come after Canada"?
    The whole country?
    Jeebus, calm down.
    I'd be more convinced that this was a war for the survival of civilization wha-dee-doo-dah if we were serious about capturing or killing Osama bin Laden.
    Also -- the Neville Chamberlain trope is tired and unapplicable in every way to the current circumstances.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Canada is safe as long as jr does not start posting on Islamic web sites .

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Most people believe that when terrorists come indiscriminately after a country's citizens, they are coming after the country. But I suppose technically, Al Queda only had a beef with a couple of airports, a few blocks in lower Manhattan and the the Pentagon on 9/11.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

And if he needs help, we'll call Tie Domi.

5. Why don't you ask them?
    They now have a whole area of our ally, Pakistan, in which to cavort. Their leader is still alive. We could ask him.
    We've given him everything else he wanted.

6. Boom_70

"Hey akmed take a look at this post - some guy named jr is saying how fucked up the syrian transportation system is "

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The point I'm trying to make is that Canadian soldiers (actually, NATO as a whole) aren't doing any good in Afghanistan if their only purpose is to make nice with the locals, handing out candy and shooting back only if and when they're attacked -- that is, if they're not too dead to shoot back.

Not that I necessarily agree that we should be there BUT if you're part of an armed force engaged in operations in a war zone, then you should be bombing the fuck out of everything in sight and killing everyone not dressed the same as you. Show no mercy. Kill them before they can kill you. That is how you win battles and wars. Somehow that lesson has been lost over the last 60 years. It's time to re-learn that lesson or get out. Anything else is foolishness and stupidity.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

How are the deficit and debt problems coming along?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, I think FB will go along with your kill everything in sight sensibilities. He thinks we should also be carpet bombing Pakistan--at the very least we should invade.

Who knew there were all these closet Rambos hiding on the board?

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thanks for overlooking the "not that I necessarily agree" qualifier in my most recent post, much less the fact that I started the goddamned thread to advocate getting out of Afghanistan altogether.

What's up, Ragu, do you have Boom-itis all of a sudden? You know, the inability to take facts into account while spewing mindless drivel all over the board.

11. Boom_70

Heck Fenian would want to carpet bomb jamaica plain if he thought there were muslims hanging out there - which they may well be.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

The Canadians should get out of Afghanistan since Montreal probably won't find any good defencemen or wingers there. If Afghanistan were that good a source for hockey prospects, you would have seen the Boston Bruins and the Philadelphia Flyers there.

Draft saved Draft deleted