1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadians “always carry a chip on their shoulder”

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Dec 1, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Apparently our diplomats really like to make Batman & Robin comparisons.

Regarding Russia:

2. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Hell no! I used to hate the stuff but have grown to appreciate it.

It's really peameal bacon. The whole Canadian bacon thing is marketing.

http://www.realcanadianbacon.com/

Edit: That site is, ironically, American. Same stuff though. Try this: http://www.tmffoods.com/consumer/peameal-bacon-of-canada.asp

Oh, and to stay with the thread, inferiority complex is far more accurate than a chip on the shoulder. But is it a complex if we know we're better, just too polite to admit it?

3. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Yeah, it is an inferiority complex, get it? We're just ... you know, we shoot guns, and don't forget that, ever, OK? And this peameal bacon. What the hell is that wimpy shit? And, and ... this whole hockey thing, that's just, um, uh... ah, crap ...

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

OMG is there a lot of anti-Americanism up here. It would almost be comical if you didn't understand how deep the hatred runs. And before JR jumps in with a history lesson, most of the people I know who wear their hate for the US on their sleeve I'm betting probably don't even know where the plains of Abraham are. For them it's how they are raised, they are raised to despise the Americans. As an AmerCan myself -- both my parents were born in the states, met up here and I was born and raised up here -- it is quite frustrating to watch as your friends run down the states. However, they are also fairly big hypocrites. The same stereotypical shit they are running Americans down for -- arrogance, ignorance, general intelligence, for being jerks, sense of superiority, etc -- they may as well be looking in the mirror while going on one of their rants. Shit, it even runs strong in our newsroom.

It doesn't matter the part of the country you are in, my cousin who moved from Arkansas up to Vancouver for a year was shocked by how much anti-Americanism she ran into after just a month or so, and I have seen it out East as well and of course it is alive here in Alberta.

In politics here it is considered a huge negative if you have even remotely good relations with the U.S. -- immediately the knives are drawn and you're accused of jeopardizing our sovereignty in some fashion.

I have met far more asshole Canadians than I have Americans. Shit I drove half way across the states a month ago and the biggest difficulty I had was trying to explain to the people at hotel desks what a postal code was. Beyond that everyone was friendly.

Don't get me wrong, I still love this country, but there are things about it that do piss me off. This is one of them.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

I don't much care one way or the other who says what about which country. Bottom line is, I'm awesome - what else could possibly matter? :D

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The truth? :D

I wish all Canadians were like the Canadians I know. Those ones are awesome!

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hey! I'm one of those ones!! ;D

8. imjustagirl

Oh. And you.

And JR.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

10. imjustagirl

So pretty much the Canadians I was including were HC and Huggy and Elliotte. And the Barenaked Ladies, whom I don't know, but whom I love.

Even if they can't pronounce decal.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't know about this. Certainly there are those tired of the fact that Canada has been bombarded for decades by American culture, TV, movies etc. Then you have your lefty politicians who shit all over the US at every turn but still fuck off to Florida for weeks on end in the winter.

I think most Canuckistanis are too busy trying to pay their bills etc. these days to worry about having an inferiority complex about anybody.

@YankeeFan, there are some very good craft brews in Ontario. Biggest challenge is finding them. The big breweries control what gets sold in The Beer Store (formerly known as Brewers Retail) and craft brews (aside from some of the bigger ones like Creemore) generally don't sell enough to get shelf space. You can buy many of them at the government liquor stores, but you might find some you like one week, go back a week later and it's gone with no word on when there will be any more in.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In general the Canadians I know do not carry a chip on their shoulder. I find the vibe they project towards the United States is one of conflict and struggle. They want to embrace the U.S. and all it has to offer while at the same time fearing that they will come across as unsophisticated lout in the motherland.

Some are like the little brother or sister that wants to be noticed and stamps their feet and jumps around like Yosemite Sam.

Draft saved Draft deleted