1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian writer arrested in border scuffle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RickStain, Dec 12, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Normally what would happen, I think, is that if the US border patrol suspected something fishy, they'd contact the Canadian Customs officers and they'd pull the guy over on the other side of the bridge.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

1) Nobody said that.

2) What right was being violated?

3) The courts are the proper venue for redress against violated rights.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

From the sounds of it, his right to avoid unlawful search or seizure, for one thing. Simply crossing a border shouldn't be grounds for a search.

And it shouldn't surprise me that you wouldn't want someone to stand up for their own rights. Better just to let the courts do it. It also never ceases to amaze me how many 'small-government' types are perfectly willing to let the police do whatever the hell they want, because their job is difficult.

The whole redress-through-the-courts thing worked out real well for that Canadian fella who got shipped to Syria, despite not having actually done anything wrong. The courts definitely gave him his redress; too bad it came after he was tortured.

4. RickStain

I wonder if I should be surprised that you insist on misrepresenting what I say.

1) I listed many ways that he could and should fight for his rights. *Productive* ways. I'm silly, I know, but I think that fighting for your rights in ways that have no chance of succeeding is silly.

2) I'm not a small-government type. I'm one of the most liberal people on this board.

3) Oh, my, in the entire history of the court system you've found an example that failed. That totally proves how worthless they are. Want to start comparing examples of where the courts have upheld rights vs. where fighting with police has helped the indivduals?

4) A border car search is not considered unConstitutional. If you feel it should be, I'd start a political campaign. Or try to argue your case with border personnel. Whichever you feel works best...

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If anyone can find out WHY he was stopped by the border guards LEAVING the US, I'll send down a box of Kit Kats.

6. RickStain

Yes. A lot of cop improprieties have been brought to light by the official tapes of the incident.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Here's an expanded story from the Toronto Star...

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/738143--u-s-border-guards-arrest-author-peter-watts?bn=1

"....officers were conducing "outbound operations" stopping and inspecting vehicles after the toll booths but before they hit Canadian customs."

Never heard of this before.

Watts, however, spent the night in jail, in the standard orange jumpsuit, and was released the next day on $5,000 bail. He was dropped off across the border at Canadian customs, without his coat – it was in the car, which was impounded – during a winter storm.]Watts, however, spent the night in jail, in the standard orange jumpsuit, and was released the next day on $5,000 bail. He was dropped off across the border at Canadian customs, without his coat – it was in the car, which was impounded – during a winter storm.

This won't get investigated.

8. RickStain

I'm skeptical. He's famous enough and has enough famous friends to create a reasonable amount of buzz.

9. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

make it a box of Mr.Big bars and I'm on the case.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The US Border Patrol and Homeland Security will stonewall it. That's my bet, anyway.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

No Mr. Bigs down there? What kind of country do you live in? :)

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

it's terrible. no Mr.BIG bars, hardly any Tim Hortons (not where I live, Dunkin Donuts central), no fries and gravy, the money all looks the same, no cool name for coins........it's basically a mess down here.

If only I could have grown up on PEI like my cousins......no electricity, plumbing and shitting in an outhouse.

Draft saved Draft deleted