1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian Tire bids $200,000 for Paul Henderson's '72 Team Canada Jersey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jun 2, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

$250.00. :)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd pay that. :D

3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The buyer is Wal-Mart's real estate guy in Canada I guess, among other things:

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/Henderson+famous+1972+hockey+jersey+sells+million/3194509/story.html

I didn't know that Henderson gave it away by mistake:

Funny thing, said Henderson, is that he’d intended to give the Hockey Hall of Fame the sweater he was wearing when he scored the series winner back in 1972 and always thought he had. But he got confused at the time and handed over the wrong one.

The white one he gave to trainer Joe Sgro, who eventually sold it to an unknown American collector who put it up for auction.

“I made a mistake back then. It’s only been in the last six months that it’s come to my attention that, man, it was the wrong sweater,” Henderson said.

A tour is planned:

Goldhar is planning a repatriation tour for the jersey. He wants to take it “from coast to coast” making stops at community centres, museums and malls with the 67-year-old Henderson in tow as much as his health will allow. Goldhar said the venture has nothing to do with business or profit. He just wants as many Canadians as possible to get up close to the sweater and “connect again” with a great unifying moment in our history.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/827770--cross-canada-tour-planned-for-iconic-henderson-jersey

4. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

$250.00 is not a bad price. He was pretty awesome when he was here, but i didn't think it would be worth that much. It's just a Bulls jersey, haha!

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

The mention of Paul Henderson over on another thread made me wonder what's going on with the jersey.

It's going on tour:

http://www.hendersonjerseytour.com/

The tour dates seem a little lacking, maybe? Litle help, Canucks? Is it just me?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey, it's coming to my part of the Toronto 'burbs...

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It had better come to The Goose!

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Toronto and/or Mimico are not on the list! You guys had the Stanley Cup, what more do you want!

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

HENDERSON!!!!

/Sklarbro Country reference

10. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I was afraid there was going to be a "Canadian Tire scores for Canada!" in a commercial.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

The tour starts in his hometown, Lucknow, which is in my neck of the woods. I have a lot of friends in Lucknow and I'm gonna try very hard to be there.

But it will also be in Owen Sound. Hell, I may get to see it twice! :)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you have a lot of friends in Lucknow that pretty much means you know everyone in town!

Drive Canny! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted