1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian teen in viral anti-bullying video commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 12, 2012.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I find this pretty interesting. I am probably more pro-vigilante-style justice than 90% of this board, but Anonymous really creeps me out.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Love that hackers could do in two weeks what police couldn't in a year.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, it is terrible that the authorities have these little things called warrants and civil rights getting in their way.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is there a Reddit for Starman Justice?

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Looks like the blackmailer had a fairly public persona in the cam community so this outing was probably due more to crowd-sourcing than hacking.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

Making it even easier for police had they, you know, given an ounce of a shit.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Sort of related to the Troll/Reddit thread as well.

Loser gets fired from his job for making posting on Facebook memorial page for Amanda Todd. Speech has consequences shitbag.

“Thank God this b---- is dead,” Hutchings wrote on a memorial page for Amanda Todd, a 15-year-old girl from Coquitlam, B.C., who killed herself last week after posting a haunting video on YouTube detailing the abuse she suffered physically and emotionally and online from cyberbullies.

In an exclusive interview with the Toronto Star, Hutchings said he was curious and wanted to “stir up the pot.”

“It was more or less a social experiment than anything. Just to see if I could put the most blasphemous thing on there,” he said Tuesday.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1272587--ontario-man-fired-from-job-over-comment-posted-on-memorial-page-to-amanda-todd

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Be sure and highlight that on your resume, motherfucker.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

so, you're down with living in a communist state?

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Well do they do anything else? Do most police stations have even 1 person whose only job is cyber crime.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Another moron, gobsmacked when he finds out that Facebook posts are both public and likely permanent if they're offensive enough.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

That's part of it, as is the problem that many police don't see cyber bullying, or bullying in general as a crime, just "kids being kids," so a lot of times I don't think they take it seriously.

Draft saved Draft deleted