1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian teen in viral anti-bullying video commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 12, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Old man soapbox time.

No idea if this is still the case, but when I came up through school this gender difference existed. One boy would bully another one (and by another one I mean me) until it finally led to a fistfight. Once the fight ended, it was basically over, no matter who won (and by who I mean usually not me). Girls would enlist armies of friends to spread vicious lies, sabatoge each other begins the scenes and hold the grudge forever, even after a physical fight.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That's about how I remember it from the 90s. I floated between the different cliques at my high school, the guys were pretty straight forward douchebags, but the girls would tear each other apart often seemingly for little reason, or one day they would be best friends and the next one would be completely shunned and exiled from the group for god-knows-what.

Also, my sisters growing up were complete psychos.

If I ever have kids, I want boys, I don't think I could handle the teen years for girls.

3. turski7

turski7 Member

All the teachers, coaches, administrators I've talked to have agreed girls have changed dramatically the past 10 years. Basically a complete 180 in that time. How they dress, their attitudes and how you never know what you're going to get from one day to the next.
    Didn't watch the video and won't. The story was sad enough.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Rosie DiManno of the Toronto Star's column hits all the write notes about this tragedy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1271009--amanda-todd-suicide-the-web-has-a-lot-to-answer-for

A whole generation has grown up lacking the restraint demanded by face-to-face encounters. They’ve embraced the concept of non-accountability, of slagging without consequences. That makes them no different from adults who go online to slime, yowling into cyberspace. But teenagers hurt more deeply, have fewer coping skills to deal with rejection and humiliation. They even think suicide is a kind of holding purgatory for lost souls, not grasping the finality of self-destruction.

In another article in the Star, the RCMP says they have 24 investigators working on this.

So freakin' sad.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Where was the investigation into the pedo stalker when she was in Grade 7?

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2012/10/15/bc-amanda-todd-tormentor-anonymous.html

1. Let's hope they're right.

2. If they are, go to fucking town. WGACA.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

oh, i get it now. so if there is evil, there is good. and if there is good, there is a god. and if there is a god, it's your god.
    center of the universe much, champ?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I don't see God anywhere within miles of this.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

it appears as though dude just might have a checkered online path, too.
    interesting to see how this plays out.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

"i ate tit"

selective quoting. i thought it was brilliant. ; P

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Anonymous say they've found the guy.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1272046--hackers-say-they-ve-found-amanda-todd-s-tormentor

Draft saved Draft deleted