1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian teen in viral anti-bullying video commits suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/12/canadian-teen-in-viral-anti-bullying-video-commits-suicide/

This story is close to my heart. My daughter tried to commit suicide because she was bullied.

Such a sad story. The self-made video brought a tear to my eye.

RIP Amanda Todd

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I know not everyone believes in God. But I don't see how anyone can read and watch that and not at least think there is evil in the world. Crying here too.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm not clicking on that. This is sad.

4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn't watched that video.

It is sad, and a shame shit like this happens.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

not going theological here but evil exists, fact. God however is merely a theory, which is disproved by the existence of evil.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I don't follow this.

The existence of evil disproves God? Does someone argue that evil doesn't exist? Or shouldn't?

Never heard that before.

RIP.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

One of the more misguided arguments I've heard. Evil does not disprove god's existence. It is merely the otherside of the coin. There cannot be good without there being evil. God never promises a world without evil, in fact over and over the Bible describes how the world is filled with evil and offers a way to live your life in the face of that evil, to be a positive, loving force. God doesn't even guarantee an easy path for his believers, in fact all but guarantees a hard road ahead. For believers, the payoff is in the afterlife.

I'm not trying to convert you or anything, or saying you must believe in God, or even that you must agree with what's in the Bible or the life that is laid out there. You either choose to believe or you don't. That's your choice and I won't think differently about you regardless of that choice, and frankly I don't really care. But to say that because there is evil in the world it disproves God is not an argument that works.

8. Good exists in this world as surely as evil. And it has nothing to do with the existence, belief or non-belief of a god.

That said ....
    THIS ^^^^^

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'll go along with the tangent, because frankly the story just made me and Ms. Ragu cry.

I have my theory about the world. I think there is a total ying-yang thing that ties together everything. Just as in Newton's physics, for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, I have guessed that our world is built around that as a common principle. The opposing actions might not be directly traceable to each other in ways that we are capable of comprehending, but they exist nonetheless in a way that ties together nicely if you have a bird's eye view of the big picture. We just don't.

You can apply it to anything. If there is good, there is evil. If there is happiness, there is sadness. If there are winners, there are losers. And so on.

It makes perfect sense to me, too, because while some people say "What kind of god would allow. .." (and I am completely agnostic, so I really don't think that way), I think that we can't experience life without the things we find difficult, in addition to the joys. How can you truly understand what happiness is, unless you know sadness? How can you recognize the extraordinary, if you haven't known mediocrity.

I know my theory isn't that novel. People have come up with that kind of cosmic guess before me and have fleshed it out to varying degrees. But it is something I have thought a lot about.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

People are fucked up. I hope they find the motherfucker who was bullying and stalking this chick and beat the fuck out of him with bully clubs. Then read him his rights as they feed him jello through a straw for the rest of his life.

I'm so tired of fucking assholes.

I was watching the news the other day here and there was a story of some 15-year old thug who cold cocked a teacher and knocked him out and the reason he said was "I had a bad day"

What a fuckhead. Kill his ass, too.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Kill a 15-year-old for punching someone. Maybe we should kill you for suggesting something that disgusting.

12. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I hate selective quoting.

Draft saved Draft deleted