1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

You Canadians need to pay closer attention to your own thread. See page 2.

Sincerely,

A Yank ;)

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's another Canadian phrase: "Bang-on."

"To hospital / to university" is also a Brit thing, as is "fuck-all."

Do Canucks say "taking the piss" (making fun of something or someone) or "shite" (milder version of shit)?

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames, Buddies,

A half-miler is someone who starts the night drinking but bails out. Heard it a fair bit. The handle does trace back to the school record in the 800 metres, tho'.

In our little East End (East York) Toronto neighbourhood, there are a few slang items that I've never heard anywhere else (at least precisely).

e.g., We have two ways of saying "nothing": 1. Balls. 2. Hairs. There are significant differences between them.

Balls: Implies bullshit. A loud guy sez he has money. You believe he doesn't. So you say to your friend: "He says he has money. Yeah, balls." It often involves a promise of delivery that wasn't kept. "He said he was bringing beer to the party. What's he bring? Balls."

Hairs: Implies hardship, often your own. A friend asks you for money. You truly can't help him out. "Scratch, I'm down to hairs." The end of your stash is, of course, hairs. Last beer in the fridge can be the hairs beer--and it's always hairs, not the singular.

V is a woman. Or a part of a woman. U is a fat woman. Block is an idiot ("I'm such a block. I left my headlights on.") or, as an adjective, dumb ("I left my headlights on when I parked outside the bar. What a block move.").

We incorporate little bits of Greek and Sicilian into the mix. e.g. A Yasoo is a like a Greek yokel, a guy who is naive and just off the boat.

I'm sure I can think of some more.

In Ottawa, for whatever reason, "a ham-and-egger" is someone who's nothing special--though it might even be a bit of an endearment.

YHS, etc

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. FoF

I didn't realise East York was a neighbourhood. I thought it was a ghetto of recent immigrants who couldn't afford to move to Mimico.

"Balls" I've heard. The rest is incomprehensible.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

Of course, in Ontario, college and university mean completely different things. I assume it's also that way in the rest of Canada but I don't know for certain.

6. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

In the Maritimes, college and university are indeed two different things. College is community college -- one or two year courses to get a trade or specialty of some kind. University is degree programs, three, four, or five years in duration.
    FOF: I don't know what language you guys speak in East York, but I never heard any of it, other than "balls."
    A ham and egger is indeed an ordinary talent in our neck of the woods. Heard the term, but it's not commonly used.
    Here, a good looking girl/woman -- a 10 on the scale -- is referred to as "a rocket."
    And if you're chasing her around and trying to get into her pants and you haven't had it in a while, you might find yourself "hornier than a half fucked fox in a forest fire."

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember MacLean and MacLean's song about Dolly Parton?

"I got my hands in my pockets, just thinking 'bout Dolly's rockets, now here they come again, my fantasies." ;D

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

One other: We use "tuck" for a woman's ass, i.e. "Look at the tuck on her."

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted