1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Instead of "dickall" I'd always heard hockey people use "fuckall," as in, "Big game like this, we come out flatter than piss on a plate and don't do fuckall."

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Lots of people. We say "fuck all" and "dick all" interchangably.

We also often shorten the latter term and it means the same thing: "you don't know dick about Canadians, do you?" ;D

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Fubar. If you need the reference, rent the movie. Filmed in Alberta.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Or, as Canadian radio tough guy The Champ might say (as he snaps and loses it), "fucked up and far from home."

5. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

We go to a "camp" or "the lake." Interchangable.
    Up here it gets "some jesus cold out."
    We just go to "Tim's" or if somebody is taking orders for the group, they're making a "Tim's run."
    A case of 24 beer is called a "flat" or a "2-4"
    Strippers are simply "the ballet."
    If a team or a person hasn't performed up to expectations, they have "shit the bed." (Never in your copy, though).
    "eh", at the end of many sentences, while a stereotype, is true.
    TSN is widely recognized as the "Toronto Sports Network."
    In my neck of the woods, Ontario people who come to the Maritimes thinking they know it all and treating us like rubes are referred to as "Upper Canadians." Couldn't believe the expression when I first heard it 25 years ago -- I was one of them -- but find it to be true. Maritimers are invariably portrayed on the national news as backwater rubes, fishermen or loggers.
    Goddamn Upper Canadians :)

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Oh God, what a fucking movie. After a while I couldn't watch it. It was almost as if somebody had followed my buddies and me around in our stupid teenage years.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Speaking of Fubar. I heard a commercial for this product http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT+BARS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-099&SDesc=FatMax%26%23174%3B+Xtreme%26%238482%3B+Fubar%26%238482%3B+Functional+Utility+Bar last night on the radio and I thought it was a joke.

Apparently not.

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Never heard that. Black it is. Probably because so many do not have African roots, rather Caribbean: Jamaican, Bahamanian and, in my area particularly, French-speaking Haitian.

A little diff. in Toronto.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nah, about the same except fo the Haitians, but we have a huge Somalian population in Toronto.

I've never, ever heard African-Canadian.

It's either "black" or "I came from Jamaica when I was 6)

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

What about Kraft dinners?

And they pronounce decals as "deck'-uhls" (Hi HC and JR!)

11. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

Not sure if this is a Canadian or British thing, but Canadian TV reports invariably say that so-and-so "was taken to hospital." What happened to the "the" in between to and hospital? I know that's not slang, but it's something irregular.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

]
    You mean "K-Ds"?

And like the UN, we provide IJAG with simultaneous translation. :) Or at least her mispronunciation.

Draft saved Draft deleted