1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A cottage in Southern Ontario encompasses almost everything--from a two bedroom shack with no running water to a $3million house on Lake Muskoka.

However, I always thought of a cabin as primitive and more isolated.

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

The Maritime expressions are often heard in nearby Maine, like "you're not from here, you're from awaaaaay." The "Buddy whassisname" thing cracks me up. But you gotta have the accent that goes with.

Around where I come from, we don't call it "pop" or "soda". We call 'em "soft drinks," which is the direct translation from the French "liqueurs douces."

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Before it was done away with, Americans had never heard of Grade 13.

Canadian Tire (and its currency) is also known as Crappy Tire.

The Brewer's Retail - the store authorized to sell beer in Ontario and owned by the major breweries - eventually changed its name to the Beer Store because that's all anyone ever called it.

Bowling can be with either five or 10 pins.

Butter tarts are one of Toronto's great exports to the world.

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Do Americans eat Nanaimo bars?

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Had a former boss from Saskatchewan, and there's quite the cadre of Canadian physicians where I live, so I hear the odd expression now and again.

My boss always ordered a burger with "the works," which meant everything on it.

He criticized lazy hockey players for playing "suckhole," or cherry-picking.

He also ordered chips, which in the U.S. were fries, I believe. He then covered them with gravy or vinegar. It's an aquired taste, but pretty darn good.

And lest we forget, there's the "Canadian Ballet," although that might be an U.S. expression for the art practiced by the fine ladies in Ft. Erie, Ontario.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Micro: Fries and gravy and cheese curds=poutine, the national dish of Quebec.

7. audreyld

audreyld Guest

We call watch caps "beenies" here.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not a chance. Good get, HC.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Not that I'm aware of. They are quite good. I've had my share.

No mention of meat pie Christmas Day? ;)

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Never heard of it.

There's tortiere, which is a Quebec dish, often served Christmas Eve.

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Mmmm ... tourtiere. One of the altos in the church choir makes these for us Christmas Eve and we have a little 'dinner' between the two evening services.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Not bad with a little HP. Or is that punishable by death in Quebec?

Draft saved Draft deleted