1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Will "anywhere else" make you happy? :)

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Stormstayed. Yep. That's happened.

In our house growing up, we had a bathroom and a washroom. We could have a bath in the bathroom. In the washroom we were able to wash but not bathe.

And just what is a touque called in the States? I mean, the South Park kids wear them, so obviously they exist down there.

3. Garner

Garner Member

Here are some I use that make people turn their heads down here in the states:
    Grade 10 - Never tenth grade.
    Garburator - My wife always laughs her head off when I call her "dispose-all" by its proper name.
    Canadian Tire money - All good Canadians have some of this stuff tucked away.
    Dick all - Nothing. "What are you doing today?" "Dick all."
    Track pants - Sweat pants.
    Chocolate bar - I don't know why anyone would call it a candy bar.
    Keener - A nerd or suckup.
    Ugly as a boiled boot - Pretty self-explanatory.
    Boot - Someone who buys alcohol for underage kids. "We've gotta find a boot."
    Butter tart - It's a single-serving pie, filled with raisins and other stuff. So damn good.
    Mickey - 13-ounce bottle of alcohol. I couldn't believe it when I found out Americans didn't know what a mickey was.
    Two-six - 26-ounce bottle of alcohol. "Me and John were pissed after finishing off a two-six of vodka."
    Parkade - If it's open, it's a parking lot. If it's closed or underground it's a parkade.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Back in the day I got stormstayed more than once at the Queen's Hotel in Arthur. Waited for the next snow plough so I could follow it up to Mount Forest.

Toque is called "wool cap" in the U.S, I believe. :)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Good list.

I always called it a "twenty-sixer"

Love butter tarts. Raisins, always. Nuts, never.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Is a snow plough kinda like a snow plow, JR? ;D

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.
    Kinda like "cheque"

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Snowpants or leggings: Worn in the snow over your pants. Depending on where you are from in Canada they are called one or the other, even though they are one in the same.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

"Stocking cap" is what a toque would be called where I am. Could be different elsewhere.

Took me years of helping set the table to figure out what a "serviette" was. Still working on the "cabin/cottage" thing. But I do know people from "the bush."

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Twenty-sixer, yes. Don't forget the forty pounder.

And if Americans don't know what a mickey is, what would they think of a Texas mickey? ;)

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Cabin/Cottage is a raging debate in Canada, too.

In Northern Ontario, people go to camp (even though it's a small house on a lake).
    In Southern Ontario, people up to the cottage.
    In BC, people go to their cabin.
    In Alberta, people go to the lake (even though they go to a small house on a pond - very little water in Alberta).

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Also known as a watch cap or, in Italian neighborhoods in the Northeast a "goopaline"

Draft saved Draft deleted