1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian slang

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Picked up a phrase from our local hockey analyst the other day: "Half-miling it." Meaning, not to go with full effort.

(Hmm, we have a poster who used to go by something like that from the Great White North, eh?)

Any of you hosers have any other favo(u)rite words to share with us south of the border?

2. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I'm from the north, and I've never heard that one.

I don't think it's indigenous.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Might be indigenous to hockey - kind of likle "shit the bed".

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Never heard the "halmiling" expression.

Maybe FoF aka Mr. Halfmiler can help out.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Are the words they throw around in For Better or For Worse legit slang or is it some demented sub-dialect found only within the confines of the strip. I'd hate to think any of you people call anyone a "foob" out loud.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Best slang comes from Newfoundland.

"Long may your big jib draw" is one of my favourites.

Of course, to appreciate it, you have to hear from a full fledged, dyed-in-the-wool Newfie who's never been away from the outport.

BTW, if you EVER want a fabulous vacation, go to Newfoundland. There's nothing like it anywhere in North America. And boy, can they drink.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, I HAVE heard "drunk as a Newfie" before ...

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Salt of the earth those people. Never met one yet who wouldn't give ya the shirt off his back.

Oh yeah, and they can drink.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Many years ago, my bro and I took the ferry from Sydney NS to St. John's. It was about a 15 hour ferry ride, 10 of which we spent in the bar with half a dozen fishermen.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The "half-miler" I referenced from the start is from a very remote part of B.C., for what it's worth.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Must be a regional expression.

We have one that's pretty much only used in the rural parts of Southern Ontario: stormstayed.

As in, "We got five feet of snow so I got stormstayed in Mount Forest" Double J probably knows that expression.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But that's not rare...

Draft saved Draft deleted