1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian SJcommers, how funny is Trailer Park Boys?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Aug 5, 2009.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

I'm watching the Dan Patrick Show on DirecTV's 101 channel and I see a promo for this show, Trailer Park Boys.
    It looks funny, so I Google it and find out it's a Canadian import.
    So, to all my Canadian pals, is this show worth watching?
    Is it as good as a Tim's XL, triple-triple?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I love it, it's brilliant. The characters are great, especially those beyond the main trio of Ricky, Julian and Bubbles. J-Roc as the white guy wanna-be rapper, Corey & Trevor and Mr. Leahy, the trailer park supervisor who might be the greatest drunk in the history of TV.

I don't know how "Canadian" it is, certainly there are references to Rush (Alex Lifeson did a guest spot on a memorable episode) but there are trailer trash pot smokers everywhere, right? Give it a look, my man, you won't be disappointed.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

The Canadianness of it isn't important, is it funny?
    It looks like Reno 911 in some ways, I'm definitely going to watch it tomorrow.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

It is very funny, it's probably the only homegrown show I have ever watched. Language is very salty too. I've never seen Reno 911, but give TPB a shot, you won't be disappointed.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I get CBC where I live, and most of the "comedy" on there is just painful. Royal Canadian Air Farce, Red Green, Rick Mercer, This Hour Has 22 Minutes -- just excruciating "har har" shit.

Given Canada's stellar track record for producing comedy and comedians, it just blows me away that they have that stuff on the air. I assume there's much better fare elsewhere on the Canuckistani airwaves.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

All that CBC stuff is garbage, this is nothing like that.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry to interrupt this CBC bashing but in its heyday--before Mary Walsh and Rick Mercer left---This Hour was perhaps the funniest and most outrageous political comedy show on TV. Nothing on the US networks came even close.

I watch the Mercer Report every week just to listen to his minute and a half /two minute "Rant". Here's a good one on Ignatieff

And Royal Canadian Air Farce, believe it or not, used to be pretty funny--about 25 years ago.

I know Huggy's a huge fan but Trailer Park Boys does nothing for me.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Corner Gas is awesome and hilarious.

Dissent to this opinion will be met with scorn.

9. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Corner Gas was brilliant. I've never watched more than five minutes of Trailer Park Boys.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Greatest Canuck sitcom is either King of Kensington or Trouble With Tracy.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

King was pretty damn good.

I wish CBC hadn't cancelled The Tournament. Great mockumentary about minor hockey and hockey parents. Yeah, it's an easy target but they pulled it off.

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Seconded. Though I'm sure TPB is good too. Heck, they parlayed it into a comedy tour that came through our town last year.

Draft saved Draft deleted