1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian Politics: Justin Trudeau to run for leadership of the Liberal Party

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Sep 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, a recent poll suggests Trudeau would handily win an election against the Conservatives

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/27/with-justin-trudeau-as-their-leader-liberals-could-easily-win-federal-election-exclusive-poll/

In an exclusive poll conducted for the National Post, Forum found if Mr. Trudeau were leader of the Liberal Party and an election were held today, the Grits would win, handily, with 39% of the popular vote.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s Conservatives would come in second, with 32% of the vote, and the NDP — today the Official Opposition and led by Thomas Mulcair — would return to third-party status, with just 20% of the vote.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't there just an election for PM last year? When's the next one, in 2015?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Canadian elections have to be held every four years unless there's a vote of non confidence, something that won't likely happen since the Conservatives hold a majority.

And we don't directly elect a PM like you do a President. The PM is the leader of the party but if he loses his seat in an election he can't sit in the House of Commons.

4. MileHigh

I knew that. I meant since there was a national election.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry. Yes, 2015 will likely be the next one unless something comes up in the interim and Harper wants to launch a preemptive strike.

6. MileHigh

Which I know is common, but have always found cooky/out of whack. Elections down here are held on schedule, not on the whim of the polls or if a leader feels he can win at a certain time. Though I like that campaigns are limited to a certain amount of days instead of years up there. And are polls stopped days before polls open (and no early voting)?

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you've been voting since the days of John Diefenbaker JR, but I'm pretty sure the Governor general can still desolve parliment any time if requested by the PM, but yes, it usually takes a vote of non-confidence for the writ to drop early.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I miss Chretien if for no other reason that his French-Canadian growly accent was the easiest celebrity voice to impersonate out there.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

He isn't fluent in either of Canada's official languages.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is true but heard a story that the reporters on the hill basically cleaned up his language so it would make sense in print.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As the man says, If it ain't true, it oughta be!

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Despite having satellite radio which I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread I still listen to local CBC in the morning and The Current even though Anna Maria Tremonti's political sympathies can be tough to swallow at times.

Today they had a Liberal riding president and a Hitler* Liberal youth on the show. The only strong quality either of them could come up with for Justin Trudeau is that he is charimatic and will bring attention to the leadership race. Nothing else to offer.

The Liberal youth person was breathless over the fact that 200 people showed up in Lethbridge to hear him speak and took this as a sign of greatness.

I know he has the name but I don't see much else.

*I know the whole deal with using Hitler on the internet. The youth wings of political parties are always filled with over eager wannabe blockheads who love to shout down people with opposing views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.