1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian journalist sues over "Knocked Up"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Have any of our friends north of the border heard of her? According to one site (http://www.randomhouse.ca/author/results.pperl?authorid=58038) she is "is one of Canada's most well-known journalists."

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2007/06/04/eckler-sues.html

Calgary-based journalist Rebecca Eckler says she is suing the makers of the comedy Knocked Up for stealing her story.

Eckler, author of a memoir about her accidental pregnancy, also called Knocked Up, claims her 2004 book is the unacknowledged inspiration for the film, which had strong box office at its opening this weekend.

Writing in Macleans magazine, Eckler said she is suing Judd Apatow, director of Knocked Up, and Universal Studios, the producer.

The movie, like Eckler's book, is the story of a one-night stand, by a young woman under the influence of alcohol, that results in a pregnancy.

Eckler said if the similarities ended there, she could let the matter go — but they continue, right down to the religion of the father (Jewish) and the career choice of the film's main character, Alison.

"Both my book and the movie feature one night of passion and the nine months that follow. Fine. Whatever," she wrote.

"But what got me was the fact that 'Alison' was an up-and-coming television reporter; in my book, I was an up-and-coming newspaper reporter."

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

She might be well known, but she isn't particularly well respected.

She used to work for the National Post and, along with Leah McLaren at the Globe and Mail, specializes in an astonishly vapid brand of bimbo journalism. The two of them are collectively known as "McEckler," because they're pretty much interchangeable.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Similar but does she really think they took her idea. I don't think so.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If he would have just cast Romany Malco as the lead he wouldn't have anything to worry about.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

That's what Eddie Murphy said, but he eventually had to write Art Buchwald a check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buchwald_v._Paramount

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Excellent find on that one, it is rather interesting that is for sure.

7. HejiraHenry

And there's Harlan Ellison's suit against the makers of Terminator and the whole "He's So Fine/My Sweet Lord" thing.

But every time a movie or book makes a buttload of money, there's some crank comes out of the woodwork looking for a slice.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Yeah......THAT'S similar.

9. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

You're right, though I thought this woman might be a bit more credible than normal.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Um, no.

11. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Sounds like a slam dunk.
    They didn't even bother to change the title.

12. HejiraHenry

Based on the way the story is written, I agree.

Draft saved Draft deleted