1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian hockey hero Paul Henderson has cancer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double J, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

This deserves its own thread. On September 28, 1972, with pretty much the entire nation watching on television, he scored the biggest, most dramatic goal in the history of Canadian hockey.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/768064--hockey-hero-paul-henderson-battling-cancer?bn=1

Henderson was diagnosed with chronic lymphocytic leukemia in November. He made his illness public Thursday on CBC-TV’s Connect with Mark Kelley.

“I have no angst in my body, no fear whatsoever,” Henderson told Kelley, “and I really believe that’s because of my faith.

“I’m going to be aggressively taking a look at this for sure — the [cancer] I have doesn’t respond well to early treatment, so we haven’t done anything yet… but I’m going to be very aggressive in trying to arrest it.”

Henderson actually scored the winning goal in each of the last three games of the 1972 Summit Series, but will always be remembered for the final tally, with 34 seconds left in the last game. It's called The Goal, and it also led to one of our all-time iconic photographs, of Henderson leaping into the arms of teammate Yvon Cournoyer.

[​IMG]

Get well soon, Paul. :)

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Man, that sucks. That series was huge - absolutely huge.

3. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

CLL is a leukemia that is found in people over the age of 50 and is relatively benign. Unless anemia (low red blood cell count) or thrombocytopenia (low platelets) develop, there may be no treatment beyond observation and monitoring. Genetic testing and DNA evaluation may also give guidance as to whether the CLL will progress or remain quiet.

Half the patients who develop the disease will live more than 12 years but appreciate that 70 is the average age of people who develop CLL.

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wish Mr. Henderson all the best. Recall him playing for the Flames' farm club in Birmingham the final year in Atlanta. Think he was called up for a few games that last season, but not sure. Jiggs and Boom Boom=fond, fond memories.

5. Double J

Double J Active Member

He's 67, so that's about right.

I was hoping you'd turn up to help put this into perspective, Doc. :)

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

I interviewed Paul back in 2002 for a series of stories I did on the 30th anniversary of the Summit Series, and he was about as classy as they come. He was part of a true legendary moment in hockey history. Prayers going out to he and his family, for sure.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

I've met him a few times, and I agree he's a class act.

He has served for a few years as the patron of a juvenile Silver Stick tournament in his hometown, Lucknow, Ontario. His patronage is important, because the juvenile level of minor hockey has really been fading away for many years.

But it's special to him, because the Detroit Red Wings scouted and signed him as a juvenile player out of Lucknow in 1959. His team went to the Ontario final that year, and he never forgot that.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

The truth:

Not liked by his team-mates. Really not liked. His Christian turn was, like more than a few, after he had been the world's biggest bastard.

I had dealings with him. A Christian prick. Hard to pull off but he did.

I wouldn't wish cancer on anyone but if he had a chronic boil on his anus I'd be okay with it.

o-<

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Hmmm, interesting. I've only met him a few times and he was great with me. Not to denigrate your dealings with him, I'm just saying that's not been my experience. Maybe I caught him on better days.

And I think he's acknowledged in the past that he was a real dickhead before finding God.

10. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Interviewed him a couple of times over the years. Said he gets asked about The Goal every day. The first time I talked to him was prior to a breakfast speech. They showed The Goal to a crowded room full of businessmen. It's a cliche to say I got a chill up my spine, but I actually did. And the room broke into a loud, boistrous cheer.

Draft saved Draft deleted