1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian hockey charity supports anti-abortion group

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cadet, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The wives' club of the Ottawa Senators has decided to include an anti-abortion group among the beneficiaries of its holiday charity drive.

I don't want to get into a discussion on abortion; we are all entitled to our opinion on the subject.

But the business of sports spawns a lot of charitable giving. Should a franchise or its subgroups support political or controversial causes? Is there any fear of alienating fans?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_mallick/20071130.html

2. It shouldn't support either dog in the abortion hunt.

In a situation like this one, it's probably good to stick to politically neutral causes (Red Cross, etc.).

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

About 15 years ago, wasn't there a similar controversy about the New York Giants taking a similar stand?

4. I believe Bavaro was the mainspring behind that one, but I may be wrong.
    Anyway, what Lyman said. A third of the money seems too much for this to be an accident or poor oversight.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Abort 'Em All ... Let Don Cherry Sort 'Em Out.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Agreed. There are plenty of other charities which really help people that the group could assist.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

The only thing I could possibly see as an outcome of this news, is that the Sens could lose some season ticketholders whose values are for prochoice.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The jock world usually leans conservative. Ever heard of a jock (or jock group, spouses group, etc.) proclaiming himself pro-choice?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

We're born at a disadvantage and in our wild flailing to stay afloat, we make such easy targets.

Aside from the main issue, why are women born at a disadvantage?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Heather Mallick wrote the article. What more do you need to know?

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Stunned bitch. I loathe people who victimize themselves.

12. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I think the Mara family produced a video called "Champions for Life" that had several members of the Giants talking about the issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted