1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian columnist takes issue with Erin Andrews' appearance on DWTS

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/792082--dimanno-andrews-looks-more-ballroom-bimbo-less-reporter

I think my biggest complaint here is that she's assuming Andrews' career is the result of journalism prowess. Andrews is consistently sold as an entertainer, not an intrepid reporter.

This isn't Rachel Nichols we're talking about. Andrews is decent at her job, but her job is to do on-camera interviews and gather little bits of material to share with the audience. In addition, no one thought twice except to laugh when Kenny Mayne did the show.

I also feel this column never is written if Andrews isn't targeted by camcorder-wielding stalkers and bored losers on the internet who feel compelled to send her death threats. Shouldn't we be telling a victim to move on with her life, rather than holding back on a previously stated ambition?

I'm just curious to see what the board feels about Andrews' decisions and DiManno's thoughts.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

"lady broadcasters?"

Good Christ, did this woman just teleport in from 1965?

3. I assume Ms. DiManno also believes Kenny Mayne made a mockery of his profession.
    And Jerry Rice. And Apolo Ohno.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Go back to reporting on Afghan detainees and human right commissions.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

6. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Don't agree with the column, but will say this: DiManno is an OUTSTANDING columnist and reporter.

The odd thing about her is that her sports work (to me) isn't as strong as her news/feature stuff. (Sorry, Rosie.) When it comes to the latter, she is as good as any columnist in North America.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Canadian columnists seem to get worked up over issues that the majority of Canadians could care less about, proroguement, human rights issues in Afghanistan, Omar Khadr.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you actually mean issues the majority of us couldn't care less about, I'll agree with you. I don't give a flying fuck about any of that shit.

That said, and I direct this to the person who started this thread, is it really relevant that the columnist in question is Canadian?

9. Oh, you are so dead to me.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm stuck on the last line:

Bush league, Erin.

Struck me as an odd expression who has been videotaped naked and now dances in skimpy dresses on TV. Am I overly sensitive to this?

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I thought the same thing, 21, but I always assume my mind is pre-set for dirt. So I figured I was just reading too much into it.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Right, I wondered the same. I don't think she was going for the dirty joke. But I'm pretty sure you and I weren't the only ones who saw it.

And I liked the column, but that last line really soured it for me. Wish someone had flagged it and asked 'umm, is this what we want to say here??'

Draft saved Draft deleted