1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canadian Alice Munro wins Nobel Prize for Literature

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Oct 10, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, two of you have pretty much disqualified yourselves from this discussion

Herta Muller is a woman, for God's sakes.

I've read "The Land of Green Plum" and |"The Appointment". They're standard stuff, not obscure

I'm not the best read guy in the world but I was a bookseller for 14 years and I've read 11 of the 20 authors who've won the Nobel Prize in the last 20 years.

As I said in my first post, of course there's politics in ANY literary award but claiming that the politics is all anti American bias is a classic "Hey, you hate the USA" argument

And since Ragu has previously claimed that "Atlas Shrugged" is one of the greatest American novels, he has absolutely zilch credibility in any literary argument

2. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

I know. I prefer to bet on sure things.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

While everyone's all worked up, let me point out that "politics" is much broader than how somebody feels about Americans. Perhaps the Committee is aware of the controversy about the lack of respect accorded women writing in English, and that affected the selection. Who knows?

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Lord, you are a parody of yourself.

First, that doesn't address a thing I said about the Nobel award. Typical JR. Unable to simply address what I actually post.

Second, I'd love to see where I have EVER said that "Atlas Shrugged" is one of the greatest American novels. I have never said anything close to that -- on here or elsewhere. It's a novel characterized by stilted, bad writing.

You post over and over again with dumb putdowns that don't even relate to the things I post on here. And you have this narrative about me that you have made up and you have posted so many times that you are now just posting YOUR dumbassery as fact and putting my name next to it.

Simple exercise. Read my posts and respond on point to what is actually in them. Your first responses created a strawman that you then responded to, and this last one avoided the conversation all together with what you considered a putdown in that clueless smug way of yours. Of course you had to make up something about me and then put that down.

You are lame beyond belief, JR.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ragu, you keep embarrassing yourself but don't even get it.

Your claim that the winning authors are "obscure" only means you've never heard of them and aren't very well read.

Your repetitive charge that the prize is a joke and silly makes you sound like an ignorant rube.

And this constant whining about anti-American bias and the snubbing of Phillip Roth is a classic American attitude: you think American authors are ore important than they actually are in the literary universe.

I can name three Canadian authors--Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies and Michael Ondaatje-- who I can argue are just as deserving as Roth to win the award but at least we don't start taking it as national snub.

Your posts make you sound insular and provincial. You might want to expand your reading list.

Oh, and I don't have time to go through your 17,000 posts--that translates into about 34,000,000 words-- to find your Atlas Shrugged comment. But I know it's there.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) You can't find your bullshit in MY posts, because it is YOUR bullshit. You have done so many nonsensical smug, attempted JR putdowns on here, that you now are actually telling everyone the bullshit you make up actually originated with me. As I said, you have become a parody of your condescending self on here.

2) "Of course there is powerful literature in all big cultures, but you can't get away from the fact that Europe still is the centre of the literary world, not the United States. ... The US is too isolated, too insular. They don't translate enough and don't really participate in the big dialogue of literature. That ignorance is restraining."

Of course when that is the stance of the committee -- who at the time was giving the award to one obscure European intellectual after another, you can somehow post that I am "insular" and "provincial." Unlike worldly you.

One reason, perhaps, I am so insular and don't get it the way you do, is that Herta Muller wasn't even available to be read before she won the Nobel Prize -- unless I had learned German and could actually find one of the handful of copies of her work that had actually been printed.

By the way, the funniest part of Herta Muller suddenly having credibility because she won a Nobel Prize was that she criticized the committee for giving the award to that other literary giant Mo Yan -- whose work I am sure you were a scholar of before he won the prize, also.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Literary "scholar" who calls himself Mencken not knowing the gender of a winner.
    Fun times watching a few people get absolutely served on this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted