1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada's new plastic money

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HC, Jun 21, 2011.

1. HC

HC Well-Known Member

As a former bank employee I approve this: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canadas-new-plastic-banknotes-will-be-nearly-impossible-to-fake/article2068559/

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

But how will this look buried under center ice?

:D ;D

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That's interesting.
    Have you seen anything about the cost?

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Don't know about cost but the link to Quick Facts lists a number of benefits for the new style currency. Apparently, 30 other countries are ahead of Canada in adopting polymer-based bills.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I can imagine there are a lot of benefits.
    I'm curious what the per unit production cost is vs. tradition cloth-paper money. You'd have to add that with an estimated transition, then balance it against the savings you'd realize through fewer counterfeiting losses and potentially less policing/prosectuion costs associated with counterfeiting.
    Very interesting stuff.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You also get to print fewer bills, because in theory they won't wear out so there's less replacement... If a paper bill lasts 18 months, this may last 54.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Good point.
    There are a lot of possible advantages.
    There are always significants costs for a transition, but I'd imagine the savings and benefits would pay off quickly.
    Heck, the U.S. just wasted money on a currency transition. We could have waited another five years and gone this route.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

We call them credit cards in the United States. Just kidding.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Reminds me of that Barney Miller episode where they bring in a guy who robbed a Canadian tourist and ended up getting nothing more than her Canadian money: "It sure looks nice but have you ever tried to spend it? $20 for a coffee and danish!"

Draft saved Draft deleted