1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada's Crown Broadcaster accused of bias

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cansportschick, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071224/tories_fundraising_071224/20071224?hub=Politics

Doug Findlay accuses CBC of bias. Allegations that reporter helped with questions for Liberal MP Pablo Rodriguez to ask Brian Mulroney at recent parliamentary hearing.

The last part of the story was interesting:

"Other reporters say they've suggested questions for politicians in the past-for instance when Conservatives were in opposition and grilling the Liberals during the sponsorship scandal."

I pose the question to all of you, do you think it's right for reporters to help governing and/or opposition parties in this manner?

2. EE94

EE94 Guest

It's all part of the quid pro quo incestuousness of any political belt, be it Ottawa or Washington or whereever (sp?)
    CBC - and others - have been trying to get at Mulroney for years over the Schreiber affair but have never had the opportunity, especially in a forum where he is obligated to answer.
    I can understand a reporter - and give us a break, we all have bias - wanting to have his question answered, even if it is through an intermediary.
    Should it happen? Probably not.
    Does it happen? That's how the world works.

3. No.
    But if the "liberal media bias!" strawmen we have down here start to cross the border, I don't envy you folks.

4. Gold

Gold Active Member

If there's no other way to get a question answered, this is one way to go about it. You can do this is a parliamentary democracy - I read a story about a British reporter doing something like this when Churchill wouldn't answer a question.

5. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080121/erickson_transfer_080121/20080121?hub=Politics

UPDATE: Reporter at centre of controversy transferred from Ottawa to Toronto.

Actions were inappropriate and she violated CBC's policies.

Ouch!

Draft saved Draft deleted