1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada Withdraws From Kyoto Protocol

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 12, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hey, troll.

How's the web log? Lots of comments?

2. Who has time to comment - the Earth is melting!!

It's MELTING!

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE AND KEEP LOADING THOSE SANDBAGS!!!

4. printdust

printdust New Member

If its melting then by damn we should be in a panic to stop it. Doesn't look like this accord motivates us to do that.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So really we only made it official now instead of mildly pretending we cared when in reality nothing was ever going to happen with it anyway. I don't think our government ever really bought into it wholeheartedly, if anything they signed it after being pressured into it. I always thought the accord was a joke anyways, and I'm sure that surprises very few.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just in case there's any even remote possibility that man-made pollution is not causing global warming and if it is it poses no threat to anybody anywhere in the world, we must remove all restrictions of any kind on any kind of pollution, because that'll show "the wackos" that we ain't taking any of their crap.

Or something.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The problem with the original proposal is that the US was supposed to do the bulk of the heavy lifting, while letting China and India develop, without a care.

F. T. S.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Except (says the devil's advocate), we're the world's big polluter, too. So why shouldn't we do the "heavy lifting?" (Even China's MPG requirements are higher than ours.)

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

People know I have strong feelings on the issue as a whole, and I've repeatedly said we shouldn't just twiddle our thumbs, exploit everything to the max, and wait for the Rapture. We should lead in showing responsibility.

But the original proposal completely blew China and India. Which is why our vote against it was so emphatic.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I don't understand what that means.

Or what it has to do with any US contribution to reducing greenhouse gases (says the DA). But at the time the protocols were being negotiated, neither China nor India had anywhere near the leverage they have now.

Besides, shouldn't other countries get their Industrial Revolution, too?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If environmentalists had their way, no.

The idea of a billion Chinese or Indians all owning their won car freaks them out. We have to keep them on the farm.

Draft saved Draft deleted