1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada: Turn out the lights

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070425/sc_nm/lightbulbs_env_dc_1

Canada to ban incandescent light bulbs by 2012

Canada will ban the sale of inefficient incandescent light bulbs by 2012 as part of a plan to cut down on emissions of greenhouse gases, Natural Resources Minister Gary Lunn said on Wednesday.

Canada is the second country in the world to announce such a ban. Australia said in February it would get rid of all incandescent bulbs by 2009.

"Making the switch to more efficient lighting is one of the easiest and most effective things we can do to reduce energy use and harmful emissions," Lunn told a news conference.

If households installed compact fluorescent bulbs -- which use about 75 percent less electricity than old-style bulbs -- they could save C$50 a year, he said.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

HAve a couple in the house -- on the north side, actually...
    They work OK, but it isnt the same...
    Home Depot was giving away a free 60W flourescent bulb over the weekend (might still be)... but wont work in most of my house until they make a 3-way bulb (bump, set....)

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

They make 3-way flourescent bulbs. I've got them in my lamps. You can buy them at Wal-Mart.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Looked for them at Home Depot Sunday and never saw them

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've only ever seen them at Wal-Mart. It's the only reason I drive to the other side of town to go into that nasty-ass place.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The state of California just took up the same thing in its Assembly.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8ON1I480.htm

Don't California and Canada have about the same population?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I looked yesterday. There was one 3-way bulb and it was almost 10 bucks. I left it on the shelf.

8. T2

T2 Member

That's the reaction of most people: ten dollars for one light bulb?! They don't take into account that the fluorescent bulb will last as long as several incandescent bulbs, so it's actually cheaper, even before considering the fact that it uses less electricity.

This price resistance keeps people buying the wasteful old-fashioned bulbs. That's why government action is being considered to force people to change their buying habits.

Draft saved Draft deleted