1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada, the most easily offended country in the world?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jan 13, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, obviously.

But, once you start banning words...

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's like how people are now offended by the word niggardly because it sounds too much like the "N" word.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

More air time for Rush and Triumph.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I don't know about the offending Canadians part, but to answer part of the original question, Money for Nothing is a staple of Classic Rock stations that I listen to daily.

5. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

The first time I heard "First Nations" used as an adjective, I thought the exact wording of this thread title.

But after jokingly calling Canada "the 51st state" to a room full of Canucks and getting no scowls in return, I don't think Canadians are easily offended. Instead, they are the most overreachingly polite people in the world.

6. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

So no songs are edited for content anywhere else in the world? That's news to me.
    Of note: the decision was handed down by the CSBC - a voluntary non-governmental regulatory board for broadcasters, and carries no penalty other than the station being required to say that it violated its ethical obligations to the CSBC - and the edited version isn't covered by this decision.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Rush gets plenty of air time as it is.

8. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Canada is the country I like most after America. It is the happiest, most content country I've ever spent significant time in. Maybe Canadians will disagree, but that's my opinion as a frequent American visitor/traveler.

I'll never forget the time I saw a police chase in Whitehorse. I thought the world would stop on its axis, it seemed so out of character for the Canada I know and love. One of the most helpful nations I've ever been to.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am more offended by the line "banging on the bongos like a chimpanzee."

I think it's a very unfair stereotype.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They have their own version of that song...

11. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

that's a good thing

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Was their a human rights commission formed to deal with the Dire Straits song? Were grief counselors brought in to talk with gays hurt by the song?

Draft saved Draft deleted