1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada: No more sex with 14-year-olds*

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

*with some exceptions: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060622/wl_canada_nm/canada_life_canada_sex_col

Seeking to crack down on sexual predators in the era of the Internet, Canada's government brought in legislation on Thursday that would raise the legal age of sexual consent to 16 from an unusually young 14.

Justice Minister Vic Toews said changing the law will bring Canada's standards into line with those of several other countries, and he complained that Canada's relatively low age of consent has attracted sexual predators from more restrictive countries.

But the proposal, first outlined in April, will also allow youngsters to have consensual sex with people up to five years older or younger, even if that means one partner is aged 14 or 15.
    Consent standards vary around the world in terms of age, gender and sexual orientation. In most U.S. states, the age of sexual consent is 16 and in some cases -- Arizona is one example -- it is as old as 18.

2. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Where's CradleRobber? I bet he's pissed.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Reminds me of an old National Lampoon headline: "Incest laws: A slap at the South's loving fathers"

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Isn't the age of consent in Mississippi 12?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Only if you're related. For others it's 14.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Does this mean that if one of them is 14, the other can be as young as nine?

7. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

I'm stunned that some of our finest posters haven't chequed in and jumped to Canada's aid on this topic already.

Maybe they're too busy wondering why Cindy Sheehan is still up there whining about the son she said she didn't want anymore when her first marriage ended.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Probably trying to get a refund on his ticket to Toronto. :D

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I believe that means the floor would be 14. The reasoning I heard is they still don't want to take away a young person's right to experiment and whathave you, meanwhile trying to keep the old perverts from picking up 14 year olds. It's not going to solve all, or arguably much of the pedophile problem, but it is a step in the right direction.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Years or months?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

What's to defend? Age of consent goes up, no big. Just like the maximum military enlistment age down there just went from 40 to 42. So not the drama.

Draft saved Draft deleted