1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada is actually a pretty nice place

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Second that. I loved my trip there. I even spoke French there, attempting to fit in, but waiters and hotel desk people spoke English back and let me off the hook. I love to see Old Quebec again.

New Brunswick -- specifically St. Andrew's and Campobello Island -- are the only other places I've been to. Some gorgeous drives.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

http://www.thomasmcbroom.com/

Guy has designed over 60 golf courses, mostly in Canada. His courses are very site specific--like a good building. They're generally understated and he avoids in spades gimmicky golf holes.

For some reason known only to myself, I've been interested in golf course architecture since I read about Stanley Thompson as a kid. Thompson designed ovr 150 courses around the world including the incredible Banff Springs and Jasper courses.

Some 10 year olds drew racing cars. I designed golf holes. :)

3. I played at Ambassador earlier this summer, and it is outstanding.

Some guy named Donald Ross designed another nice course in Windsor: Roseland Golf and Curling Club. Never curled there, but the golf is great.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Banff Springs is incredible. Played 9 holes on my honeymoon there.

If you're into golf archtecture, JR, you need to read any of Geoff Shackelford's dozen books on the subject and play a Gil Hanse course. Both will add depth, clarity and knowledge to your passion for the subject.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Canadian Open used to be held there on occasion... and you haven't lived til you've gone curling drinking Carling

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

That's the great thing about curling (and bowling, too, I guess).

It's a sport, but you can drink while you're doing it.
    And, back in the day, smoke too!

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Aye, son, you need to head out west, especially in the Kamloops area. Some very well designed courses there -- Robert Trent Jones Sr., Graham Cook, Robert Heaslip.

And Salmon Arm has a Les Furber course.

Disclaimer: I don't golf but I did have to learn all of this stuff while living in the area. Got to interview Cook once when he played his own course during an RCGA event.

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Ha! Remember the standing ashtrays beside each house? Crap, that was only 13 years ago in Newfoundland!

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bird,
    Thanks for the heads-up on Shackelford. They're on my list.

The Hamilton Golf & Country Club where they held the Canadian Open a few years back (to rave reviews from all the pros, I might add) was a Thompson course. As is the Burlington Golf & Country Club where I started caddying when I was 10 or 11.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And even better, the winner in curling buys the beer.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

I am absolutely with you on that one. Nothing like standing on the tee at 16. Nothing.
    And besides, PEI is the home of Cows.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hey Canadians, you do indeed live in a great country. Any thoughts on the immigration issues facing the US? Is there a debate going on in your country? Any illegals of the U.S. variety crossing the border to work without papers?

Draft saved Draft deleted