1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada is actually a pretty nice place

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Gros Morne National Park. If you haven't been. Go.

2. Flash

Flash Guest

The pic I posted on page 1 is from Jasper.

I am one of the lucky many to have driven from coast-to-coast. I've been to the most eastern point of Canada and the most western point of Canada.

While I am a Nova Scotian by birth, I have lived in five of the 10 provinces (I think I've reached my limit ;) ).

On my travels, what has amazed me most is the topography of each province is as individual and striking as is the personality of each province. I make an exception of New Brunswick -- it may very well be the most boring no matter what anyone from out west will tell you about Manitoba.

If you can, come north and travel.

We only bite if you ask us.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There's a difference between high unemployment rates and "abject poverty".

And I'll second Flash's comments on Gros Morne. May be one of the most remote national parks in North America--and one of the most stunning. First Viking Settlement discovered there

4. Flash

Flash Guest

And further to that, there are many, many, many Newfoundlanders who are proud Canadians. Yes, there are those who don't exactly look at Joey Smallwood as a hero, but there are many who do.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

I was in Seattle for a three-game series and ended up having to last-minute fly up to Victoria for a emergency family issue.
    My dad hired a four-seater seaplane (a Beaver or an Otter, some kind of mammal) and a pilot to get me there. Sat next to the pilot, we flew at about 2700 feet. It's just short of an hour.
    Went around, and landed right in the harbour in downtown Victoria.

Still takes my breath away when I remember it in my mind's eye.
    Probably the only other place I'd live in Canada.

6. Anybody been to Quebec City? It looks great in pictures, but I've wondered if it's really worth the haul.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

I've tanned on the Plains of Abraham. Pretty cool.

There's lots of history in Q.C. and great, classic French architecture. Plus, the people are a lot friendlier there than in Montreal.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Quebec City is fabulous.

It's the only fortified city in North America with the walls still intact. It was founded in the early 1600's.

The Chateau Frontenac, like the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa is one of the great old CP railway hotels.

Great, great place and if you're lucky, you'll catch Flash suntanning. :)

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn, I envy you, HC. That's No. 2 on Trips I Hope to Eventually Take, behind the requisite golfing/history excursion through England and Scotland.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

In 29 minutes I am leaving for PEI and Crowbush golf course....catch me if you can ;D

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One great golf course designed by Thomas McBroom.

An architect friend of mine has a summer place near Crowbush. He usually gets about 30-40 rounds in---he has an office in nearby Morel that he camps out in for July & August

12. There never was anyone named "Thomas McBroom."
    You and JK Rowling made that guy up.

Draft saved Draft deleted