1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada is actually a pretty nice place

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lucas Wiseman, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This is personal bias because I am from here, but Atlantic Canada is the best place to visit. I do know some SJ posters who have visited my home town/province and enjoyed their visit.

I went to Newfoundland, and St.John's is nice. You have to visit George Street and be initiated there...that's because the street is hopping with bars. After you are initiated, you actually get a certificate. PEI has the nicest beaches and golf courses. I love Cavendish Boardwalk. I go to PEI a lot during the summer. They also have a cool Irish Pub in the heart of Charlottetown.

2. The golf courses in PEI are unreal.

3. Cansportschick

There is actually a really nice lodge situated on a golf course. It's called Lakeview.

In Nova Scotia, Fox Harbour is the place to go for golf but Ashburn and Glen Arbour are not bad either. Abercrombie is great too.

4. I've also heard good things about Bell Bay and Highland Links. Would love to play in Cape Breton sometime.

5. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

We in Montreal actually have the exact opposite opinion about the roads.
    You cross the border into the U.S. (I don't think the climate changes in 500 feet) and instantly the roads are better.

You cross the border into Ontario (same deal) and instantly the roads are better.

We don't know how to build roads. We just don't. I don't know if it's that they're cutting corners or what, but they're horrendous.

Other than that, safety and cleanliness-wise, there are few peers (and great beers, and if you're 16, you can get into a bar).

But, like every other big North American city, that's changing too.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

What? Bashing Buffalo?!? :mad:
    (Only the locals, or ex-pats, are allowed to do that. Write an anti-Buffalo piece when the team you cover is visiting and woe is you, because we can hold a grudge for a long, LONG time.)

Disclaimer in place... yeah. There are some small signs of hope, a few pockets of civilization in downtown, but it still can't compare to the Canadian side. Niagara-on-the-Lake is a frequent pseudo-destination, whether or not the Shaw Festival is on at the time.

And I'm the wrong gender to appreciate the "Fort Erie Ballet", but I've heard interesting things about their performances as well...

7. It's also not as if places like Windsor, Niagara Falls and St. Catharines are shining cities on a hill, either.

And regarding the roads in Quebec -- having traveled on some of them in the not-too-distant past, I can confirm they're rougher than an old washboard. Still, Montreal kicks major-league ass (even if it no longer has a major-league team).

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

I've got to say that here in the US we may have the edge on roads over Quebec, but that's about it. I live on the border and once you cross into Canada, the difference is palpable. You just don't see the abject poverty on the north side of the border that is pervasive here in the north country.

Newfoundland, however, is the best, but they really don't consider themselves part of Canada.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The area around Jasper, Alberta, and all of Vancouver Island, especially the Pacific Ocean side, are astounding places to visit.

10. "Newfoundland" and "abject poverty" go together like a horse and carriage.

11. Cansportschick

Going golfing in PEI Wednesday and Thursday....can't wait to hit the links. PEI has great courses, Crowbush is my fave.

12. Flash

Flash Guest

Lyman, if you drive the back route from Port Hawkesbury to Sydney (the other way is more popular because it passes Baddeck and the Cabot Trail), there is a lookout a few kilometres north of St. Peter's. Stop the car, get out and behold the Bras d'Or Lakes. It is breathtaking.

Draft saved Draft deleted