1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada beats U.S. in World Field Lacrosse Championship Game

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

When you find out, I wanna know. That question has puzzled me for years.

Along with Brampton Excelsiors. :)

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Two pages of replies and no menttion of Duke. You people are slipping ...

As for the elite/bourgeois thing, well, soccer kind of works the same way. In the rest of the world, soccer is played by everyone, particularly the poor people. It seems to be played mainly in affluent areas here. Which is partly its downfall in this country, in my opinion.

In my state, lacrosse has only recently made forays into public-school competition. Before that, only private schools had it, and non-scholastic competition was sparsely available, if at all, before about three years ago

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

A guy at the Goose told me that Mimico has had a team since 1890. At that time, they had a different name (which escapes me at the moment).  In 1896 they played the Hamilton Mountaineers and their prize for winning was the other team's name.  I'm gonna get verification, but this is the first person that's had an answer at all.

Stay tuned for further developments.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Niagara Escarpment runs through Hamilton and they call it the "Mountain".
    Hell, it may be 200 feet high but hey, it's Hamilton.

Oskeewee, baby. :)

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Did a story years back (in En Route of all things) with Gaylord Powless (RIP now) watching the Gaits in a Mann Cup final in Brooklin. (I have no idea if I still have a copy but great photo of Powless.) The Gaits were phenomenal athletes in their time. To land in a game where there's no coin. Coulda been DBs or puckists or tennis pros or something. Lacrosse = a cross to bear.

YHS, etc

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

And the Mimico Mountaineers beat the Barrie Tornado (I hate singular team names) 7-6 tonight to win their OLA Junior B quarter-final playoff series 3-1.

Off to the semifinals versus either the Oakville Buzz (grrrr), the Niagara Thunderhawks or the Orangeville Northmen.

Draft saved Draft deleted