1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada bans Frank Thomas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Perry White, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

I thought the FCC was bad but this is ridiculous. Can any of our friends north of the border enlighten us on this agency?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070404/sp_nm/bluejays_commercial_dc;_ylt=Attpkp_oVbNXTQ003T437d0e_7QF

Major League Baseball star Frank "The Big Hurt" Thomas was feeling a little beat-up on Wednesday after Canadian regulators demanded changes to a commercial featuring the Blue Jays slugger engaged in a pillow fight with kids.
    The Blue Jays thought the commercial, which originally aired about a week ago, was harmless.

But the Television Bureau of Canada, the industry group that approves commercials for broadcast, disagreed and refused to approve the ad until images of the boy being knocked to the floor were edited out.

"It says something when people are taking a pillow fight so seriously," said Lindsay. "People have been calling in to radio talk shows and asking if the TBC has ever seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon."

Watch the video and judge for yourself: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/v5/content/video/general/0403c-jays-pillow.html

2. He disagrees.

[​IMG]

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Damn, Fenian is like a kid in a candy store since figuring out how to post pictures. :D

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Wow, apparently there are a few censors in Canada who need senses of humor shipped to them stat.

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I've watched that ad, among others (there's one where Overbay catches a bouquet at a wedding, then chucks it at the bride as if doubling up a player somewhere on the base path).

They all suck. I'm happy it's banned because it's shit.

The ones last year were better (Vernon Wells playing hide and seek and sprinting out of the house, down the street and diving into a dumpster, never to be found; Troy Glaus watching kids throw stones at a bee hive, and then him throwing one at it and the bees chasing the kids; and one with Glaus swinging at a piniatta (sp?) and destroying it at a kid's birthday).

Some people are also trying to ban a Dairy Queen commercial right now. It has an older brother hanging his younger brother from a coat hook after stealling his ice cream. The dad then comes in and hangs the older brother from another hook and eats the ice cream.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, but I wonder if he knows who the Ranger goalie is in the pic he posted.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wasn't the beehive one with Doc?

9. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

JR

You are correct sir.

I knew I was confusing two ads.

But don't you agree, this year's crop SUCKS compared to last?

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

They've still got their thongs in a bunch over the flag flap from 1992

11. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Only fitting that Burnett can't throw the trash into the truck and instead hits the garbage man in the head.

12. The late Mr. Sawchuck?

Draft saved Draft deleted