1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Canada (again) does the right thing.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by micropolitan guy, May 1, 2020.

1. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Labatt Blue is a Pilsner, but I remember it being hoppier than most. It’s been forever though.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I've been to a craft cocktail bar. Bartender talked to my wife and I about what we liked, our preferences in the liquors that composed them, and then suggested drinks and labels that we otherwise would not have tried. I consider that sort of thing a luxury. It's not substantively different from wine snobbery. If you have the money and inclination to indulge in it, fine. I don't find it interesting most times. You have some high end bourbon you want to share, great. I'm unlikely to spend my money on them as what I value enough to expend my resources on lies elsewhere.

You can wear $100+ blue jeans. Maybe they make your ass look better, maybe not. I'm still going to wear Levis or Wranglers or something.

Sea Bass likes this.
  3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There are some good ones no doubt but up here they are all pricey and some good ones can be tough to find - especially if they take off in popularity and the brewery can't keep up with the demand. As a friend of mine said, one thing craft beer drinkers won't admit: most of them are awful.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Sea Bass likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

As a western Canadian, you should know another beer I will buy on occasion: Old Style Pilsner!

Iron_chet, misterbc and JC like this.
  5. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I drank Pil for a few years in my late 20s because my buddies did. Don’t know if you remember ‘Calgary’ brand lager from the 60sand 70s But it was probably the best Canadian beer I’ve tasted. I’m a lager and Pilsner drinker now and one area where the craft breweries fail is that few brew lagers. Everything is PA and, now, stouts. Like someone said earlier, after golf or 80km bike ride or sweating it out in the yard I’m looking for a nice lighter tasting beer, not Guinness....although I like it.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

What's stopping you?

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I remember drinking Old Milwaukee as a budget-conscious university student. The good commercials sold us

False advertising

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Cost of living. And then there's that special skills requirement for getting into the country's workforce in the first place.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Milwaukee’s Best, $2.99 per 12-pack. Many, many 12-packs.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Cheaper than Pepsi, as I recall.

11. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

We drank Old Mil Light in college, Old Swill, because it was $6.99 a case.

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

My father in law is an Old Milwaukee's Best drinker.
    Is it good beer? No.
    If you're out on the golf course on a hot sunny day, and you reach into the cooler and that's all that is in there, do you still drink it?
    Yes.

misterbc likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted